Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Healthy Meals from The Pantry
A few basic ingredients in your pantry, fridge and freezer can be a lifesaver for those times when you are too busy, sick or tired to get to the supermarket.
Stocking foods that you like, have a long shelf life, and can be used in a multitude of ways are keys to success. That and sticking to super simple, yet satisfying recipes.
Long Lasting Groceries to Keep on Hand
Here are some of the supermarket staples you might want to consider keeping on hand:
Produce: potatoes, onions, carrots, cabbage, celery, lemons, apples
Dairy: plain nonfat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan, Reduced fat American cheese singles, cheddar, mozzarella
Frozen: broccoli, peas, cauliflower rice, shrimp, chicken breasts, shrimp, veggie burgers, fruit, fully cooked chicken/turkey sausage, turkey pepperoni
Canned: beans, corn, diced tomatoes, tuna, salmon, chicken, soup, broth, fruit, evaporated milk, pumpkin
Jarred/bottled: pasta sauce, salsa, stir fry sauce, soy sauce, olive oil
Dry goods: beans, rice, pasta, barley, oatmeal, grits, nuts, dried fruit, crackers, rice cakes, tortilla chips, breakfast cereal (high fiber, low sugar), pancake mix such as Kodiak Cakes, flour
Bread: English muffins, sliced bread, High fiber low carb tortillas (consider storing in the freezer)
Simple Ideas for Easy Healthy Meals from Pantry Ingredients
Keep a list of simple recipes that you can whip up in minutes from a few healthy pantry/fridge/freezer staples. With a supply of dried pasta, quick cooking whole grains, canned tomatoes, beans, tuna, eggs, cheese, frozen peas and broccoli it's always easy to create light and healthy meal in minutes.
Some of my go to simple recipes include:
- 5-Ingredient Chicken Wild Rice Casserole - With just a handful of simple pantry ingredients you’ll have dinner on the table in no time at all.
- Pasta and Frozen Broccoli -Boiled together, drained and tossed with a little olive oil, Parmesan cheese and generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Easy English Muffin Tuna Melt
- Simple Tuna & White Bean Salad
- Salmon Pasta Salad made with canned salmon, defrosted frozen peas and light Italian dressing.
- Cottage Cheese, Salsa Baked Potato - a WW classic I learned about years ago.
- 4-Ingredient Corn & Bean Soup
- Quick & Easy Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- An omelet, scrambled eggs or frittata. Here's a fun recipe for a quick & easy salmon omelet made in a mug.
- Frozen black bean burger on an english muffin with a side of healthy canned soup.
- Open Face Salmon Salad Sandwich for two.
- Egg Salad such as this Easy Egg Salad or Curried Egg Salad on lettuce leaves, whole grain crackers or toast.
- Easy Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl
- English Muffin Pizzas - Lightly toasted English muffins topped with a little tomato sauce, cheese and whatever else you have around, canned pineapple chunks, ham, olive, bell peppers, turkey pepperoni, etc.
- Healthy Crunchy Tuna Salad for Two
- Quick & Easy Salmon Patties & Frozen Peas or Coleslaw
- Cauliflower rice, drained canned beans and salsa tossed together and heated in a skillet or the microwave until warm.
More Easy Meals That Don't Need a Recipe or Meal Plan
When all else fails, you can always have grilled cheese or pancakes for dinner! I actually like breakfast food for dinner and know many others who do to. There's nothing wrong with quick and easy convenience meals. Keep things simple and give yourself a break.
Some of my favorite quick and easy "cheater" meals include:
- Leftovers from last night's restaurant or takeout meal
- Sandwich, Wrap or Lettuce Wrap stuffed with your favorite lunch meat, light cheese and veggies
- Grilled cheese
- Quesadilla made with a small amount of light cheese and whatever odds and ends you have in the fridge. Some of my best quesadillas have been made with restaurant leftovers like grilled steak, pork, shrimp, fish or chicken (Here's a skinny cheesy quesadilla kids of all ages will love)
- Cereal, fruit and milk (I always have a couple of high fiber low sugar cereals and oatmeal in the pantry.)
- Toast with avocado and fried egg (Here are 14 More Ways to Top Your Toast)
- Light & Healthy Pancakes or French Toast
- Soup (Favorite boxed, canned or defrosted homemade)
- Microwave healthy frozen meal (Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, Smart Ones, etc.)
- Microwaveable ready to eat meals (I especially like the ones from Tasty Bite such as Indian Madras Lentils and Vegetable Tikka Masala
You Might Also Like:
- Realistic Meal Planning for Busy Unpredictable Lives
- 27 2&3-Ingredient Dough Recipes
- Cooking Tips & Recipes for One
- Grocery Shop on Line to Save Time & Whittle Your Waistline
- Weight Watchers Shopping List
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!