WW Food Find: Favorite Protein Bars with 4 SmartPoints or Less
I received a question asking for WW friendly protein bar suggestions. Although there are a few I like, I decided it would be informative and fun to ask my Facebook readers for their favorites.
Here are the five favorites from Weight Watchers members according to my random poll.
About WW Friendly Protein Bars
Protein bars have become a diet staple in the United States. There are hundreds of brands and favors – chocolate, coconut, peanut butter, oatmeal, birthday cake, and more available.
Sorting them out can quickly get overwhelming especially when you take a look at the nutritional labels.
Some protein bar brands are so loaded with calories, fat and sugar, from a nutrition standpoint they’re nothing more than a glorified candy bars in disguise.
However, many protein bars have a good balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, making them a nice choice for a nutritious on-the-go snack or light healthy meal replacement.
They can be great to grab as part of a healthy breakfast on the go, to stash in your desk or purse, or to take with you when traveling.
If you’re sensitive to artificial sweeteners, you’ll want to read the ingredient lists closely. Many of the popular protein bars on the market today contain sugar alcohols because they add sweetness without increasing the carbohydrate content.
But not everyone tolerates sugar alcohols the same. If you notice gastrointestinal discomfort, such as gas and bloating, after eating your bar, it may be the culprit.
Because of the overwhelming number of protein bars on the market, I asked my Facebook fans to recommend their WW friendly favorites. More than 60 people weighed in with their opinions.
According to them, here are five of the best bars you can try, all with 4 SmartPoints or less. I’ve also included nutritional details and reviews. Enjoy!
5 WW Friendly Protein Bars with 4 SmartPoints or Less
#1 Built Bars – 3 WW SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
110 calories, 15g protein, 13g carbs, 4g fat, 6g fiber, 4g sugar and 3 WW SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
BuiltBar was far and away the most popular protein bar with my Facebook fans. I’d never heard of them probably because they are only available online. With so many glowing reviews, only 100 calories, 3 WW SmartPoints, and an ingredient that works for me, I decided to give them a try.
They are unlike any protein bar I’ve tried. The typical protein bar is dense, gritty, and difficult to chew. Not Built Bar. The texture is light and fluffy, and it is covered in perfectly tempered exotic chocolate.
The coconut almond bar tasted like a Mounds candy bar, only better because it kept me satisfied for hours. Their website claims, “There isn’t a more delicious way to get your protein.” I heartily agree.
Here is a Sampling of BuiltBar Reviews:
- “You guys it tastes like almond joy and I’m OBSESSED! Eating it with my coffee is a treat every day!”
- “I love the Coconut Almond. Feels like I’m cheating on my diet but I really am not.”
- “I love many of the built bar flavors, but peanut butter is by far my favorite flavor!”
- “This is honestly one of the only protein bars I’ll purchase. They are so good (especially the coconut almond) and a good texture!”
- “I really like the peanut butter protein bar because it’s not overpoweringly sweet. I eat it for breakfast and it keeps me full until lunch”.
- “I have tried many protein bars over the years and have NEVER found one as good as built bars. They are low calorie, delicious chewy goodness!!! I love, love, love them!!! They are fantastic to eat at work when there is no lunch in sight. I am a nurse and the no lunch thing happens frequently. They are filling and hold me over. Thank you for such a quality product.”
#2 Kirkland Protein Bars – 4 WW SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
190 calories, 21g protein, 22g carbs, 7g fat, 15g fiber, 1g sugar, 4 myWW SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
Several folks said Kirkland Protein Bars from Costco were their favorite. I plan to pick up a box on my next trip there.
Here is a Sampling of Kirkland/Costco Protein Bar Reviews:
- “I love these bars. These are better protein bars then quest bars in comparison. A lot of people complain that these bars are too hard but the trick is to heat them in the microwave for 10 seconds. The taste is divine and they really taste like chocolate chip/brownies. I’m aloud a tablespoon of peanut butter so I slap I bit on the protein bar after heating up. You won’t regret trying it this way!”
- “I discovered these bars by accident. I like all the flavors except the cookies and cream, which is okay, but not my favorite. I like the taste and texture of these bars, their protein and fiber ratio to calorie content, and their satiation effect. The price is also much more reasonable than Quest bars. I eat 2 of them for breakfast occasionally, and often to supplement one of the other meals. As long as the price does not increase, these will be my go to food supplement.”
- “Great taste without all that extra added sugar that a lot of protein bars have. Great calorie, protein and fiber count if you are monitoring any of those in your diet. These bars do not contain much sugar so they are not overly sweet tasting.”
- “Hits the spot when need something quick and easy but also healthy to grab while on the go and since I travel on avg half the month, these are perfect to throw a few in my carry on bag.”
WW Baked Protein Bars – 3 SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
90 calories, 7g protein, 7g carbs, 4g fat, 2g fiber, 4g sugar, 3 SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
Several people mentioned WW Baked Protein Bars which are available in 3 flavors: Snickerdoodle, Triple Chocolate, and Chocolate Peanut Butter.
They are a perfect way to stock the office break room, or your own pantry, so there’s always a WW protein snack on hand to help power your day.
Here is a Sampling of WW Baked Protein Bar Reviews:
- “Wonderful! Delicious, satisfying, when you need chocolate, some crunch, and texture. I don’t feel deprived when I have one of these bars.”
- “Not to sweet but a great snack for a 3:00 pm pick me up.”
- “Taste good, only 3 points, they fill you yuo between meals.”
Available at WW Studios or online.
#4 Quest Bars – 4 WW SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
About 200 calories, 20g protein, 22g carbs, 9g fat, 2g sugar and 4 WW SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
There were a few votes for Quest Bars which are widely available in a variety of flavors. According to the website, the following are free of sucralose, which is important to me because it gives me a headache:
- Chocolate Hazelnut
- Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Cinnamon Roll
- Coconut Cashew
- Double Chocolate Chunk
- Maple Waffle
- Mocha Chocolate Chip
- Peanut Butter Brownie Smash
- Peppermint Bark
- Pumpkin Pie
- Strawberry Cheesecake
Here is a Sampling of Quest Protein Bar Reviews:
- “These were great! Quest bars are always good, but I recently tried the s’mores flavor and I was pleasantly surprised. I like quest for their low carb/high protein ingredients, which make for a good pre or post workout. There are chunks of chocolate and graham crackers, so that takes away from the protein bar texture. It’s a toss up between s’mores and chocolate chip cookie dough for my favorite.”
- “I like Quest bars for their low carbs content and deliciousness. I think they’re good for quick snack anytime of the day and could be used as support for weight control due to the low carb content. Another good thing about Quest bars is their array of flavors to choose from.”
- “Loving this bar only having 3 to 5 net carbs. Great flavors to choose from. Very happy customer.”
- “I would definitely recommend the quest power bars. They are high in protein and low in sugar. And they taste really good.”
#5 Protein One Bars – 2 WW SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
90 Calories, 10g protein, 11g carbs, 2.5g fat, 4g fiber, 1g sugar, 2 WW SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple)
Protein One Bars were also a WW friendly favorite with my Facebook fans. Available on most grocer’s shelves, they come in an assortment of favors including:
- Chocolate Chip
- Chocolate Fudge
- Peanut Butter Chocolate
- Mint Chocolate Cookie
- Strawberries & Cream
- Salted Caramel Crisp
Here is a Sampling of Protein One Bar Reviews:
- “Unlike most protein bars, this one tasted palatable. It wasn’t chalky or have that uncooked cookie dough texture. I liked them very much.”
- “Love these and only 90 calorie. Get my chocolate fix for the day and lots of protein.”
- “Surprisingly filling for such a small bar. The strawberry flavor is the perfect balance if tangy and sweet. It is the perfect solution to a sweet craving. I have incorporated this bar into my diet twice a day for the past few months. As part of a high protein diet it has helped me to shed 16 pounds without ever feeling like I had to sacrifice taste or indulgence.”
- “Tasty and low calorie with a good amount of protein.”
More Popular Protein Bars and Their SmartPoints
Kind Plus Protein Bars – 7-8 SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple), 8 grams of protein
Nature Valley Protein Bars – 6 SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple), 10 grams of protein
One Protein Bars – 6-7 SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple), 20 grams of protein
Orgain Protein Bars – 4-5 SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple), 10 grams of protein
Pure Protein Bars – 5 SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple), 21 grams of protein
Simply Protein Bars – 3-4 SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple), 10-15 grams of protein
Think Thin Protein Bars – 6 SmartPoints (Green, Blue, Purple), 20 grams of protein
Do you have a favorite WW friendly protein bar that’s relatively low in points? Please let us know in the comments below.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
You might also like:
- Slim & Sassy TrimShake Protein Powder
- Ellie’s Healthy Energy Bars
- No Bake Cranberry Date Nut Energy Bites
- 20 of the Best Protein Bars for Weight Watchers (Pointed Kitchen)
- The Best Protein Bars for Weight Loss (Snack Girl)
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!