As a longtime lifetime WW and muffin lover, these light and healthy Kodiak Cakes Muffins are a new favorite. They help me indulge my love of muffins while staying on track. Slightly sweet and satisfying they keep me full for hours.
You can make these muffins plain or fancy them up with optional additions and/or toppings like sprinkles, chocolate chips, raisins or nuts...
Confession: Before Weight Watchers and the awareness that came from tracking my food, I used to eat those oversized Costco muffins several times a week. Then I discovered that one packs over 680 calories and 28 SmartPoints. No wonder I was gaining weight!
That's when I got serious about finding ways to make muffins lighter, healthier and more Weight Watchers friendly. One great strategy is to use Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes buttermilk pancake mix, which is 100% whole grain and low in sugar.
What is Kodiak Cakes Mix?
Kodiak Cakes makes a line of high protein Flapjack and Waffle Mixes known as "Power Cakes." They are made with 100% whole grains and have 14g protein per serving.
Buttermilk, the original Kodiak Mix flavor, is the one I use. In addition to making satisfying pancakes that keep me full for hours, this versatile mix also works as a great alternative to white flour and can be used in many different recipes.
How Many Calories and WW Points in Kodiak Cakes Muffins?
According to my calculations, each serving has 109 calories and:
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How to Make These Muffins, Step-by-Step
Step 1: In a large bowl whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, applesauce and brown sugar.
Step 2: Stir in the Kodiak Cakes mix , baking powder and any optional additions just until blended.
Step 3: Divide the batter between the prepared muffins cups and bake until golden.
Step 4: Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
Recipe Notes, Additions & Substitutions
This is a great basic recipe that can be modified all kinds of ways:
Different Kodiak Cakes Flavor: I opt for the original buttermilk but there are lots more options including gluten free, chocolate chip, dark chocolate, peanut butter, strawberry chocolate chip, almond poppy seed and cinnamon oat.
Without bananas: Use applesauce instead.
Different milk: the recipe calls for skim milk. Any of the dairy free milks would work instead.
More flavoring options: vanilla, cinnamon, lemon zest would all be nice.
Storing & Freezing Muffins
Even healthy sweet treats can be too much of a temptation for me. That's when I opt to store extras in the freezer:
Cool muffins completely before wrapping and freezing. Wrap securely in foil or freezer wrap, or place in freezer bags. Label and the date. For best results use them up within 3 months.
Muffins can be thawed at room temperature, or you can heat frozen muffins in the microwave or conventional oven:
- For microwave oven, place unwrapped muffin on napkin, microwave-safe paper towel or plate. Microwave on HIGH about 30 seconds for each muffin.
- For conventional oven, heat foil-wrapped muffins at 350°F 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the muffins.
If you've made this Kodiak Cakes Muffins Recipe, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Light Healthy Kodiak Cakes Muffins
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 3)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-¾ cups Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Buttermilk Flapjack & Waffle Mix
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
Optional Additions & Toppings:
- Sprinkles, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, raisins, Craisins, grated carrots, shredded coconut (Adjust WW Points accordingly)
- Preheat oven to 400F and spray a regular 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Or you can line your muffin tin with muffin/cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, applesauce, milk and brown sugar.
- Add the Kodiak Cakes mix, baking powder and any optional additions and stir just until blended.
- Divide the batter evenly between your 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops of your muffins evenly with any optional additions, if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean or only slightly moist, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. You may need to run a sharp knife around the muffins to release them from the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Kodiak Cakes Muffins Recipe, you might also like
- Blueberry Bran Muffin Tops
- Skinny Banana Oatmeal Blender Muffins
- WW Friendly Pancake Coffee Cake in a Mug
- Kodiak Cakes Zucchini Pancakes
- Kodiak Cakes Sprinkle Muffins without Bananas (Drizzle Me Skinny)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!