WW Recipe of the Day: Baked Potato with Salsa and Cottage Cheese
Have you ever had a cottage cheese baked potato with salsa?
It's one of those old standby ideas for a super-quick and easy lunch or dinner I got from Weight Watchers eons ago. And managed to forget until someone suggested it as a quick and easy lunch or dinner recently.
A medium plain baked potato, with just 5 SmartPoints, can be a great foundation to a super satisfying meal.
Turning a baked (or sweet) potato into a meal is an easy, satisfying way to solve the lunch or dinner dilemma. I don't know why I don't do it more often.
I LOVE them. My husband loves them.
And there are dozens of delicious ways you can top or stuff them.
Favorite Healthy Ways to Top a Baked Potato
Some of my other favorite ways to top a potato to turn it into a meal include:
- Steamed Broccoli & Cheese
- Chili & Cheese
- Roasted Vegetables
- Black Beans, Avocado and Salsa
- Plain Greek Yogurt, Bacon & Green Onion
- Leftover Chicken, Turkey or Beef & Gravy
The salsa and cottage cheese baked potato is one of the most easy, healthy and delicious ways I know. (Unless, of course you are not a fan of cottage cheese or salsa.) And it takes just minutes if you use the microwave .
If you have time and like crispy-skinned baked potatoes the oven (or toaster oven) is the way to go.
But when time is of the essence, the microwave gets the job done in about 5 minutes.
Just pop a medium size potato in the microwave and cook on high until it's soft. Cut it open and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Then top with cottage cheese and salsa.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Baked Potato?
According to my calculations each serving has 289 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How Big is a Medium Potato?
According to Weight Watchers the average medium baked potato weighs 5.3 ounces and is the size of a computer mouse.
If you like this easy salsa and cottage cheese baked potato recipe, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Taco Cauliflower Rice Skillet, 2-Ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken, Crock-Pot 3-Ingredient Corn Dip, Quick & Easy Chicken White Bean Salsa Soup and WW 3-2-1 Microwave Mug Cake
If you've made this low fat Baked Potato with Cottage Cheese and Salsa, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Salsa and Cottage Cheese Baked Potato Recipe
- 1 medium potato (about 5.3 ounces or the size of a computer mouse)
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ⅓ cup salsa
- Salt and pepper
- Scrub the potato, and prick several times with the tines of a fork.
- Place on a microwave-safe plate and cook at full power for 5 minutes. A medium size potato should be done. If it's not, turn it over and cook for another 3-5 minutes. If it's still hard in the middle, cook in additional 1-minute increments until done.
- When the potato is soft, remove from the microwave, and cut in half lengthwise.
- Season with salt and pepper, and mash up the inside a little using a fork. Top with cottage cottage cheese and then salsa.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video has some easy ideas for making healthy baked potatoes at home
More Quick and Easy Ways to Turn a Potato into a Meal
- Stuffed Southwestern Baked Potato (LaaLoosh)
- Picadillo Stuffed Potatoes (WeightWatchers)
- Mexican Stuffed Baked Potatoes (NutmegNotebook)
- WW Baked Potato Bar (MealPlanningMommies)
- 2 Good Twice Baked Potato (HungryGirl)
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Baked Potato (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Bacon & Cheddar Baked Potatoes (RecipeDiaries)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!