Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: 3 Bean Turkey Sausage Chili
(213 calories | *2 WW SmartPoints)
Here’s a super simple, very basic recipe for slow cooker chili made with turkey sausage and 3 different kinds of beans I think you are going to love. We all did!
Last night as we were digging into the remaining portion I had tucked away in the freezer from a few weeks back, it dawned on me that I had yet to post it.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker 3-Bean Turkey Chili
This chili had just enough heat for our tastes without being overly spicy. Like most chilis it is even thicker and more flavorful the next day.
A great candidate to make-ahead as a freezer meal, I was reminded just how wonderful it is to have yummy foods like this in the freezer, ready and waiting for those nights I’m too tired, or unmotivated, to cook.
I pulled it out first thing in the morning and by dinnertime it was defrosted and ready to heat and eat.
Rod said it reminded him of being in a ski lodge. And Mom called it delicious, saying it needed nothing except a sprinkling of cheese to make a satisfying lunch.
According to my calculations, each serving has 213 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *2 Weight Watchers FreeStyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Slow Cooker 3 Bean Turkey Chili Recipe Notes
This is a really easy recipe that requires very little chopping.
Ground turkey can be pretty bland, so to make this Crock Pot Turkey Chili more flavorful, I used hot Italian-style Turkey sausage. Adjust the spices to suit your tastes. Chili powder is one of those spices that can intensify a lot during long slow cooking.
I like to cook my ground meat and onion in the microwave before adding it to the slow cooker, but you could always use your stovetop and a skillet instead.
Slow Cooker 3-Bean Turkey Chili Recipe Variations:
different meats – substitute whatever lean ground meat or combination you like best, turkey, chicken, lean beaf, bison, pork, sausage, etc.
different beans – use whatever combination of beans you like best
vegetarian/vegan – skip the meat and add 1 to 2 extra cans of beans or your favorite meatless crumbles
more veg – bell pepper and/or corn would be good
I used the following kitchen tools to make this recipe:
If you like this simple recipe for 3-bean turkey sausage chili, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly chili recipes including: Vegetarian Chili, Skinny Pepperoni Pizza Chili, Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Chili, Weight Watchers Chuck Wagon Chili and Slow Cooker Turkey Green Chile Chowder
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Turkey Sausage Chili, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
WW Slow Cooker 3-Bean Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked hot Italian style turkey sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4-6 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 chopped red onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart.
- Place the turkey and onion in a microwave safe bowl and cook until it's no longer pink and the onions are soft (5 to 8 minutes).
- Drain any fat and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chiles, beans, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours.
- Garnish with the optional toppings and enjoy!
Source: adapted from Skinnytaste
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch how to make another version of Three Bean Turkey Chili:
More Easy Weight Watchers Friendly Chili Recipes Made Lighter
- Turkey Chili Taco Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Bacon Cheeseburger Chili (HungryGirl)
- One Pot Cheesy Turkey Taco Chili Mac (SkinnyTaste)
- Chipotle Chicken Chili (LaaLoosh)
- Buffalo Turkey Chili (SkinnyKitchen)
- Chili Cheese Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (EmilyBites)
This is how easy it is to make Turkey & Veggie Chili:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Originally published 12/2014; Updated 12/2016
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!