Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Chuck Wagon Chili
I've been making chili for decades and have several recipes for it here on Simple Nourished Living. But this Weight Watchers Chuck Wagon Chili is the first time I've ever made chili without beans. I wasn't sure how we would like it.
There was no need for worry!
Hearty and flavorful without being too heavy or spicy, nobody would ever guess this bowl of deliciousness originated in a Weight Watchers cookbook .
What's not to love about chunks of beef chuck and vegetables slowly cooked in beer, tomato paste, spices and honey?
I found the recipe in my Weight Watchers Momentum Slow Cook It: 165 All-New Slow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook while looking for a way to use a small chuck steak I had picked up on sale at the grocery store.
It filled the bill perfectly.
Slow Cooker Chuck Wagon Chili Recipe Notes
I made a couple minor changes to the original recipe.
First, I cut back on the chile powder, using only 1 tablespoon instead of the recommended 3. I wanted our pot of chili to be flavorful without being fiery. If you like extra heat, feel free to add more.
And I skipped the sour cream. We didn't miss it at all.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Chili?
According to my calculations, each hearty serving (with light sour cream) has 337 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
9 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you skip the sour cream, deduct a point. Enjoy!
Be sure to check out these delicious Weight Watcher friendly recipes: Slow Cooker 3-Bean Turkey Sausage Chili, Vegetarian Chili, Slow Cooker Pumpkin Black Bean Chili, Skinny Pepperoni Pizza Chili and Slow Cooker BBQ Turkey Chili
If you've made this Slow Cooker Beef Chili without Beans, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Weight Watchers Chuck Wagon Chili for the Crock Pot
- 1-¼ pounds boneless chuck steak, trimmed and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 12 ounces light beer
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teapoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- ¼ cup light sour cream, for serving
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with non-stick spray. Set it over medium heat. Add half of the beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer the beef to the slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Add ¼ cup of the beer to the skillet. Bring to a boil and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Scrape this mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add to the slow cooker the onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, remaining beer, tomato paste, honey, chile powder, cumin and oregano. Stir up the mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the beef and vegetables are fork tender, 8 to 10 hours on LOW or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH.
- About 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time is up, gradually stir in the cornmeal into the slow cooker until blended. Cover and cook on HIGH until the mixture simmers and thickens, about 15 minutes more.
- Serve with sour cream.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here's a fun video featuring Black-Eyed Bean Chili from Weight Watchers UK Magazine...
More Lightened Up Crock Pot Chili Recipes
- Slow Cooker Paleo Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili (SkinnyTaste)
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash & Farro Chili (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Fabulous Fajita Chili (SkinnyKitchen)
- Chunky Veggie Pumpkin Chili (HungryGirl)
- Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!