WW Recipe of the Day: 0 Point Vegetable Cabbage Soup for the Stovetop or Slow Cooker
(41 calories | 0 0 0 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I love soup.
Soup tops my list of quick and convenient weeknight meals, all year long, and especially during the cold dark days of fall and winter, when you crave something warm and comforting.
Which is why I keep adding more easy healthy soup recipe posts here on the blog and even wrote an eCookbook filled with Skinny Soups for the Slow Cooker and Stovetop!
Soup has a lot of wonderful qualities going for it. You can easily and economically feed a crowd from one big pot. It’s simple to make in big batches so you can have easy ready-to-heat leftovers for quick lunches and suppers all week long. And it’s naturally nourishing, especially when you make it yourself and control what goes into it.
Many soups, including this simple garden vegetable soup, have no or low Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
How Soup Helps You Slim Down
But my favorite thing about soup is that it can help you lose weight and keep it off. Why?
Eating soup can help you feel full on fewer calories, which is essential to long-term sustainable weight loss success.
That’s why making and eating soup is one of the strategies I suggest in my 28-Day Smart Start Weight Loss Challenge eCourse!
Soup (not the cream filled kind, of course) is considered a high volume low energy-dense food. This means it provides more food volume for fewer calories so you feel fuller and stay feeling fuller longer.
(To lose weight you need to find ways to avoid being hungry all the time.)
Weight Watchers Low Calorie Zero Points Vegetable Soup Recipe Notes
One of my favorite soups is this simple garden vegetable soup. It’s a WW Classic. Brimming with vegetables that you can easily modify to suit your tastes and what’s available/in season.
This satisfying soup has been a staple in Weight Watchers world for decades. Some people refer to it as cabbage soup, I guess because it has cabbage in it.
You’ll often find a container of it strategically placed front and center in my fridge, ready and waiting for when hunger pangs strike.
At just 41 calories and:
0 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
0 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Weight Watchers Zero Points Soup Variations
Different vegetables: modify the vegetables to suit your likes, dislikes and what you have on hand or is in season
Different seasonings: modify the herbs and spices to suit your likes and dislikes.
- Italian: basil, oregano, Italian seasoning blend
- Mexican: cilantro, cumin, chili powder, oregano
- Asian: ginger, garlic, soy sauce (skip the tomatoes and tomato paste) add bok choy, pea pods, bean sprouts, etc.
- Spicy: red pepper flakes, chilies, hot sauce
Heartier: add your favorite canned beans, rinsed and drained or leftover cooked turkey or chicken
Slow Cooker: Place all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
If you like this recipe for garden vegetable soup, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including Easy Corn & Black Bean Soup, Skinny Potato Leek Soup, Spicy Vegetarian Red Lentil Soup, White Bean Soup with Sausage, Creamy Potato Mushroom Soup and Favorite WW Friendly Cabbage Soups
If you’ve made this WW 0 Point Vegetable Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
WW Simple Garden Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped or shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 4 cups fat-free broth of your choice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped or shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped spinach or kale
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- Chopped parsley or basil for garnish (optional)
- Spray a large saucepan or soup pot with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook over low heat, stirring often until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, cabbage, spinach, tomato paste, basil, thyme and salt and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook until softened, 3 - 5 minutes more.
- Stir in chopped fresh parsley or basil just before serving if desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place everything in your slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW until tender, 6 to 8 hours.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.Watch how one Weight Watcher makes her own Slow Cooker Zero Point Veggie Soup:
More Low Points Soups for Weight Watchers
- Slow Cooker Bean Barley Soup
- Slow cooker Bean and Cabbage Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Toscana Soup Made Lighter
- Healthy Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup Recipes
- Weight Watchers Zero Points Cabbage Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!