Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Jamie Oliver Spring Vegetable and Bean Soup
Skinny on Jamie Oliver’s Spring Vegetable and Bean Soup
I made this Jamie Oliver Vegetable Soup with beans recently. It’s from his book, Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals . He describes it as a “lovely soup – very simple and traditional.”
I don’t know about simple. This Jamie Oliver Vegetable Soup requires a lot of chopping! But these days it’s easy enough to find broccoli and cauliflower florets along with already chopped veggies in most supermarkets.
But it is delicious. And Weight Watchers very friendly too!
Each generous 2-cup serving has 154 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *1 WW Freestyle SmartPoint. I adapted this soup to work with Simply Filling too.
In the introduction to his chapter on soups, Jamie explains that the key to a good soup is cooking the vegetables for the shortest amount of time that they need in order to be soft enough to be pureed or eaten, which will give better flavor and nutritional value.
Is that why my previous vegetable soups weren’t as great as this one – I simmered them too long? Who knew?
I hope you will give this Jamie Oliver Vegetable Soup recipe a try and then pass it on by sharing it with or teaching it to at least two more people, which is what Jamie’s Food Revolution is all about!
Vegetable Soup Recipe Variations:
This is the kind of recipe that can be varied all kinds of ways to suit your tastes and what you have on hand.
Vegetarian/Vegan – use vegetable broth
Italian-Style – add a can of diced tomatoes, fresh basil and some broken spaghetti or other pasta
Mexican-Style – add diced tomatoes with chiles, substitute black or pinto beans for the cannellini beans, substitute zucchini for the broccoli and add some corn
Heartier – add cooked chicken, turkey or shrimp
Starchier – add potatoes and/or pasta, rice, barley or quinoa
More Veg – zucchini, peas, corn, potatoes, asparagus, whatever is in season and looks good
Fancier – swirl a dollop of prepared pesto into each bowl. Or add a sprinkling of fresh grated Parmesan or crispy croutons
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this vegetable bean soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Jamie Oliver Vegetable Soup with Beans Recipe
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) cannellini beans
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 7 cups 7 ounces spinach leaves
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground Parmesan for serving (optional)
- Put the broth and canned tomatoes, if using, in a saucepan and heat until boiling.
- Meanwhile, Put a large deep soup pot on medium heat and add 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, onions and garlic and stir them together with a wooden spoon. Place the lid on askew and cook them until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape and the onion is lightly golden, about 10 minutes. (You'll want to give them a stir every so often so they don't begin to stick or burn.)
- Add the boiling broth to the vegetables in the soup pot. Add the beans, broccoli, cauliflower and chopped fresh tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for 30 seconds more, then remove pot from the heat.
- If you like a thicker soup, take out half of it, give it a whirl in a blender and then stir it back into the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Source: adapted from Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals by Jamie Oliver
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Jamie Oliver Vegetable Soup you might also like:
- WW 0 Points Vegetable Soup
- Easy Baked Bean Soup Recipe
- Simple Garden Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup Recipe
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!