WW Recipe of the Day - Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup
I first made this recipe for slow cooker Mexican meatball soup way back in 2009. And it's just as good now as it was then, so I decided to pull it from the archives for old times sake.
Back then, my crock pot love affair was just getting started.
As I continue exploring ways to simplify life in the kitchen and make getting dinner on the table quick and easy, my relationship with the Crockpot deepens. Soon my Slow Cooker may take up permanent residence on the counter!
Crockpot cooking makes getting dinner on the table a breeze, not to mention staying on track with my healthy eating and weight management goals. It's my #1 Secret for eating well and staying slim.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup Recipe Notes
By investing a few minutes in the morning combining ingredients in the slow cooker, I'm able to focus on the day without stressing about "what's for dinner?" because a satisfying homemade dish, like this slow cooker Mexican Meatball Soup, will be ready and waiting for us.
This recipe is an adaptation of Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup with Rice from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Fast-Fix Family Favorites
I made this recipe more Weight Watchers friendly by:
- adding two 10 ounce bags of frozen southwestern mixed vegetables (a blend of chopped bell peppers, onion, zucchini, baby carrots, and corn) to my version of Mexican Meatball Soup. This bulks up the soup with Weight Watchers power foods for Zero Points. Use any combination of frozen and/or fresh vegetables you prefer.
- using turkey meatballs—instead of beef—since they're lower in fat, calories and Points.
Can You Add Uncooked Rice to the Slow Cooker?
Can you add uncooked rice to slow cooker?
This recipe calls for ½ cup uncooked converted rice, which works especially well in the crockpot. In this recipe the rice gets super soft and serves as a thickener, which I really like. Here are my foolproof instructions for cooking rice in the crock pot.
How Many Calories/WW Points in this Easy Healthy Mexican Meatball Soup for the Crock Pot?
According to my calculations each generous 2-cup serving has 279 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
Skinny Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup Serving Suggestions
Lots of yummy things would go well with this including cornbread, tortillas, cheese quesadillas, and simple green salad.
When I made it most recently, warm flour tortillas and a salad of chopped greens, chopped scallions, chopped avocado, and pumpkin seeds dressed with olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, salt and pepper were the accompaniments.
Are You Ready To Slim Down With Soup?
If you've made this Easy Mexican Meatball Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 can (7 ounces) diced green chiles
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound frozen turkey meatballs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen mixed Mexican style vegetables (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup converted rice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 5-Quart.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours, or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
- Serving Suggestions: Lots of yummy things would go well with this slow cooker mexican meatball soup including corn muffins, tortillas, cheese quesadillas, and simple green salad.
- I served it with warm flour tortillas and a salad of chopped greens, chopped scallions, chopped avocado, and pumpkin seeds dressed with olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, salt and pepper.
Source: recipe adapted from Sandra Lee's Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Fast-Fix Family Favorites (Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade)
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this crock pot Mexican meatball soup recipe, you might also like:
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Posole Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
- Italian Beef & Lentil Slow Cooker Soup
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Sounds delicious. I like all of the ingredients. And prep time is wonderful. Thanks, I will try this.
Made this as one of the soups for a church group and it was llicked clean! Just a hint of spice, not too hot...delicious.
why can't you print these
When I began the blog, I didn't enter the recipes into a program that provided an automatic print function. I do know so all my new recipes have the print button displayed. I'm going back to old recipes/posts as I have time. In the meantime you could always do a screen print or copy/paste into an email or document. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm not the most technical person in the world and I'm learning as I go!
Hi, I print all her recipes on my computer....file...print....
Terri S. Vanech
Looks great; can't wait to try it!
Can please tell me what is 1/6 recipe
I made this soup for my son's family last night. I served it as suggested with lime slices, cilantro, and corn muffins. I did substitute fresh, chopped zucchini, frozen corn and taco seasoning mix for the frozen Mexican vegetables. It was simple and DELICIOUS! Thank you for your Skinny WW Slow Cooker recipes. They are helping me to help my family without them even knowing.
I don't eat store bought meatballs... can I use my own (not frozen) or do they have to be frozen?
Hi Elyce, If you substitute your own cooked, not frozen meatballs, the recipe may be done sooner than written in the recipe. Hope this helps. ~Martha
Thanks for the reply Martha... can't wait to try this~
This is absolutely one of my favorite soups. I make this quite often. Thanks so much Martha for posting this recipe.
Can I sub brown rice for converted rice?
Sure, I think brown rice would work fine. ~Martha
Love this recipe!! I make this every couple of weeks.