WW Recipe of the Day - Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup
I first made this recipe for slow cooker Mexican meatball soup way back in 2009. And it's just as good now as it was then, so I decided to pull it from the archives for old times sake.
Back then, my crock pot love affair was just getting started.
As I continue exploring ways to simplify life in the kitchen and make getting dinner on the table quick and easy, my relationship with the Crockpot deepens. Soon my Slow Cooker may take up permanent residence on the counter!
Crockpot cooking makes getting dinner on the table a breeze, not to mention staying on track with my healthy eating and weight management goals. It's my #1 Secret for eating well and staying slim.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup Recipe Notes
By investing a few minutes in the morning combining ingredients in the slow cooker, I'm able to focus on the day without stressing about "what's for dinner?" because a satisfying homemade dish, like this slow cooker Mexican Meatball Soup, will be ready and waiting for us.
This recipe is an adaptation of Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup with Rice from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Fast-Fix Family Favorites
I made this recipe more Weight Watchers friendly by:
- adding two 10 ounce bags of frozen southwestern mixed vegetables (a blend of chopped bell peppers, onion, zucchini, baby carrots, and corn) to my version of Mexican Meatball Soup. This bulks up the soup with Weight Watchers power foods for Zero Points. Use any combination of frozen and/or fresh vegetables you prefer.
- using turkey meatballs—instead of beef—since they're lower in fat, calories and Points.
Can You Add Uncooked Rice to the Slow Cooker?
Can you add uncooked rice to slow cooker?
This recipe calls for ½ cup uncooked converted rice, which works especially well in the crockpot. In this recipe the rice gets super soft and serves as a thickener, which I really like. Here are my foolproof instructions for cooking rice in the crock pot.
How Many Calories/WW Points in this Easy Healthy Mexican Meatball Soup for the Crock Pot?
According to my calculations each generous 2-cup serving has 279 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Skinny Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup Serving Suggestions
When I made it most recently, warm flour tortillas and a salad of chopped greens, chopped scallions, chopped avocado, and pumpkin seeds dressed with olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, salt and pepper were the accompaniments.
If you've made this Easy Mexican Meatball Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 can (7 ounces) diced green chiles
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound frozen turkey meatballs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen mixed Mexican style vegetables (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup converted rice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 5-Quart.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours, or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
- Serving Suggestions: Lots of yummy things would go well with this slow cooker mexican meatball soup including corn muffins, tortillas, cheese quesadillas, and simple green salad.
- I served it with warm flour tortillas and a salad of chopped greens, chopped scallions, chopped avocado, and pumpkin seeds dressed with olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, salt and pepper.
Source: recipe adapted from Sandra Lee's Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Fast-Fix Family Favorites (Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade)
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this crock pot Mexican meatball soup recipe, you might also like:
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Posole Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
- Italian Beef & Lentil Slow Cooker Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!