Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Broccoli Cheese Muffins
(178 calories | 6 5 5 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Skinny, healthy, and delicious broccoli cheese muffins.
If you’re one of those people who thinks that muffins and quick breads have to be sweet to be good, I hope these savory broccoli and cheese muffins help change your mind!
Looking for something a little different to highlight broccoli, this week’s 38 Power Foods (affiliate link) group ingredient, I happened upon a recipe for fresh broccoli Parmesan muffins, in what has to be the best muffin cookbook of all time, 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites .
Read my full review of Camilla Saulsbury’s 750 Best Muffin Recipes Cookbook.
Fridays, a group of bloggers, led by Mireya of My Healthy Eating Habits, is posting recipes using the healthy ingredients from Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
If you haven’t seen the book, it’s definitely worth taking a peek. I’m more pleased with it with each passing week.
The 38 Power Foods are categorized into 5 chapters: 1) Vegetables; 2) Fruits; 3) Grains and Legumes; 4) Nuts and Seeds; and 5) Eggs, Yogurt and Fish.
Along with recipes for each ingredient, there’s interesting health information, as well as buying, storing, and preparation tips, making it a useful resource for anyone wanting to eat healthier.
This week’s Power Foods Ingredient is you guessed it – broccoli.
The Skinny on Broccoli Cheese Muffins
Not a week goes by when we don’t eat broccoli or broccolini at least once or twice, which turns out to be a good thing for our health.
Packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants that act like a broom to sweep away all kinds of cancer-causing free radicals, broccoli is the most nutritious cruciferous vegetable you can eat!
Since I love broccoli and muffins, combining the two seemed like a winning idea.
I adapted the recipe slightly to make it Weight Watchers friendly and divided it in half to make 6 muffins instead of 12. (Portion control is one of my favorite strategies for staying slim.)
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Muffins?
According to my calculations, each muffin has 178 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this recipe for lightened up broccoli cheese muffins, be sure to check out some my other Weight Watchers friendly muffin recipes including Skinny Chocolate Banana Muffins, Kiwifruit Muffins, Ina’s Chunky Banana Bran Muffins, Light & Easy Irish Soda Bread Muffins, WW 2-Ingredient Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins, Low Fat Apple Bran Muffins, and some tips for making healthy muffins
If you’ve made this Broccoli Cheese Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Broccoli Cheese Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli, lightly cooked, drained and cooled to room temperature
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions (green onions)
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated reduced-fat cheese
- Position an oven rack in the center of your oven and preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- Line a 6-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, olive oil, sugar, and mustard until well blended. Stir in the broccoli, scallions and 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Add the egg broccoli mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. (The batter will be very thick.)
- Divide the batter equally among the 6 prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 18-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Transfer the muffins from the pan directly to the wire rack.
- Serve warm or let cool completely.
Recipe Source: 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites by Camilla Saulsbury and Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients by Martha Stewart.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If You Like These Skinny Muffins with Broccoli and Cheese, You Might Also Like:
- Slim & Healthy Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Skinny Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Lightened Up Recipes for St. Patrick’s Day
- Roasted Shrimp and Broccoli
- Health Benefits of Broccoli (The World’s Healthiest Foods)
And here’s a fun video from WebMD giving ideas for how to sneak veggies into your muffins…
For more great delicious broccoli recipes, check out the blogs of these fabulous food-blogging ladies who are participating in the 38 Power Foods group today:
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!