Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Low-Fat Banana Bran Muffins
(235 calories | 9 8 8 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
This recipe for Ina's chunky low fat banana bran muffins was originally posted last July.
I had joined a small group of bloggers devoting the first Friday of each month to the recipes of Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa).
I adapted these low fat banana bran muffins from a recipe in Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again .
You can also find the original recipe on the Food Network.
Skinny on Ina's Chunky Low Fat Banana Bran Muffins
A girl of unusual tastes, I've loved bran muffins for as long as I can remember. So, it's no surprise that I loved these too.
Moist, dense and flavorful with chunks of nuts, raisins, and banana, the flavors of orange zest and molasses really came through.
I made a quarter batch, enough batter for 6 muffins. And to shave a few calories, I cut back on the chunky additions.
According to my calculations, each of these chunky low fat banana bran muffins has 225 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you're not crazy about bran or molasses, you'd probably be better off trying a different recipe.
I still like the old bran muffin recipe from the back of the Kellogg's bran cereal box too.)
Served with a little yogurt and fruit, it made for a deliciously sweet and satisfying breakfast.
The is definitely the kind of moist, dense, fiber-rich muffin that will keep you full for a while.
If you've made these Banana Bran Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Ina's Chunky Low Fat Banana Bran Muffins (Small Batch)
- ½ cup unprocesed bran
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup rasins, plumped in warm water and then drained well, if dry
- ½ cup large-diced bananas (½ large banana)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Line 6 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the bran and buttermilk and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in the butter, brown sugar, egg, molasses, orange zest, vanilla and salt until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the buttermilk mixture and stir just until combined. Don't over mix it or your muffins will be tough! Gently fold in the bananas, raisins and walnuts with a rubber spatula.
- With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, evenly divide the batter amongst the six muffin cups, filling them till full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place the muffin tin on a rack to cool. Let the muffins cool in the pans. When cool, gently remove them to a plate.
Source: adapted from Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again by Ina Garten
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like low-fat banana bran muffins you might also like:
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!