Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Chocolate Banana Muffins
(184 calories | 9 9 9 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Skinny chocolate banana muffins. All I can say is YUM!
I’m always on the lookout for new ways to use up the overripe bananas that invariably end up languishing on the counter. (I can’t stand to toss them away.)
This weekend I was ready to turn my way-too-ripe bananas into something more special: light chocolate banana muffins. Muffins are a favorite, but I don’t often indulge in them during the week, preferring to keep them as a weekend treat – especially when they contain chocolate!
Skinny on Light Chocolate Banana Muffins
These lightened up banana chocolate muffins are a manageable indulgence.
They could definitely work as dessert in my book, especially if dusted with a little confectioners sugar or drizzled with a bit of icing.
According to my calculations, each muffin has about 184 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
They are at their best still warm from the oven, but will stay moist and tempting for a few days, particularly if you reheat them in a warm oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
Banana Chocolate Muffins Recipe Notes
These muffins turned out moist and delicious. The banana flavor really comes through.
I think they would be great as cupcakes spread with a thin layer of frosting or sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar.
Next time I want to experiment with adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of coffee powder.
If you’ve made these Chocolate Banana Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Light Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Place paper liners in a 12 cup standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and oil until well blended.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir together just until blended. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the lined muffin cups.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Take the pan from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 2 or 3 minutes and then take them out and place them directly on the wire rack to cool completely.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like these lightened up muffins with banana and chocolate, you might also like:
- Skinny Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Bars
- Low-Fat Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Icing
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Simple Banana Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!