Skinny chocolate banana muffins. All I can say is YUM! I’m always on the lookout for new ways to use up the over ripe bananas that invariably end up languishing on the counter. (I can’t stand to toss them away.)
This weekend I was ready to turn my way-too-ripe bananas into something more special: light chocolate banana muffins. Muffins are a favorite, but I don’t often indulge in them during the week, preferring to keep them as a weekend treat – especially when they contain chocolate!
Skinny on Light Chocolate Banana Muffins
These light chocolate banana muffins have just 5 WW PointsPlus Value, making them a manageable indulgence. They could definitely work as dessert in my book, especially if dusted with a little confectioners sugar or drizzled with a bit of icing.
They are at their best still warm from the oven, but will stay moist and tempting for a few days, particularly if you reheat them in a warm oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place paper liners in a 12 cup standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and oil until well blended.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir together just until blended. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the lined muffin cups.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Take the pan from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 2 or 3 minutes and then take them out and place them directly on the wire rack to cool completely.
*PointsPlus® for these light chocolate banana muffins calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked these light chocolate banana muffins you might also like:
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.