When the weather turns hot I love to start the day with a healthy smoothie recipe for breakfast.
Healthy smoothies are a simple way to get the day started in a cool refreshing way while providing a delicious source of healthy protein, fiber and phytonutrients.
There are gazillions of healthy smoothie recipes for breakfast to choose from, but in the name of keeping things simple (including smoothie making) all you really need is a basic smoothie recipe to use as a template from which you can create your own delicious variations till your heart's content.
And while smoothies are a great quick and easy healthy breakfast solution, they also make a perfect light summer lunch or mid afternoon pick me up too.
I've been having a blast making all kinds of healthy smoothies since I got my Vitamix. (My sister has been telling me for years that it was awesome and I finally gave in and make the big investment. I'm so glad I did. I love making the creamiest smoothies and soups with it.)
Of course, you don't need a Vitamix (affiliate link) for making smoothies. Any strong blender (affiliate link) will do!
Healthy Smoothie Recipe for Breakfast
This is a basic healthy smoothie recipe for breakfast template that you can modify in a variety of ways to make whatever kind of smoothie you prefer.
Healthy Smoothie Recipe For Breakfast and Beyond
- 1 cup skim milk or the nondairy milk of your choice. I'm partial to almond milk and coconut milk at the moment
- 1 medium peeled frozen banana broken into chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened frozen fruit of your choice blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, mango, peaches, raspberries, or any combination
- 2 teaspoons honey maple syrup or 2-3 drops stevia extract to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place all smoothie ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth. I like my smoothies thick, but if you prefer a thinner smoothie just add more liquid until your desired consistency is achieved.
Optional Healthy Smoothie Recipe Additions:
- ¼ cup plain instant oatmeal, grapenuts, or granola
- 1-2 scoops Whey Protein Powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter
- ½ teaspoon of your favorite flavored extract (vanilla, almond, coconut, rum)
- Dash of your favorite spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom)
- A couple tablespoons plain yogurt
Some of My Favorite Healthy Smoothie Recipe for Breakfast Variations:
Mango Smoothie: Use frozen mango for the fruit.
Pineapple Orange Smoothie: Use frozen pineapple for the fruit and ¼ teaspoon finely grated orange zest.
Pina Colada Smoothie: Use frozen pineapple and add ½ teaspoon coconut extract into milk.
Peach Raspberry: Use frozen raspberries and peaches for the fruit.
Blueberry: Use frozen blueberries for the fruit.
Peanut Butter Banana: Use an extra banana for the fruit and and 2 tablespoons peanut butter.
If you liked this healthy smoothie recipe:
Kitchen Sink Smoothie
Healthy Breakfast Yogurt Parfaits
Blueberry Banana Almond Butter Smoothie
Simple Cantaloupe Smoothie
*PointsPlus® for healthy smoothie recipe calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
do u freeze the banana over night
When my bananas get overripe I peel them and put them in a ziplock bag that I keep in the freezer so I always have them ready and waiting in the freezer for when I want to make smoothies, banana ice cream etc. Hope this helps.