Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Banana Bundt Cake
(229 calories | 9 8 8 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Here is a simple banana bundt cake recipe using a cake mix that is easy and delicious.
Rod just finished a slice with ice cream and declared it "one of the best" banana cakes ever; hearty praise from a true cake lover!
This adapted the recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns! by Anne Byrn
The Skinny on Simple Banana Bundt Cake
I made a few changes to the original recipe to lighten it up and make it a little more Weight Watchers friendly.
I omitted the additional ¼ cup of sugar called for since cake mixes are plenty sweet for us. Replaced the sour cream with plain non-fat Greek yogurt and increased it by ¼ cup and decreased the oil by ¼ cup.
I also added 2 tablespoons of flour which is a trick my mother learned from her Home Economics teacher decades ago to help cake mix cakes be less crumbly.
With a light dusting of confectioner's sugar, each slice has just 229 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
When baking banana breads and banana cakes, it's important to use really overripe bananas for best flavor.
If you've made this Banana Bundt Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Simple Banana Bundt Cake Recipe
- Vegetable oil spray for coating the pan
- Flour for dusting the pan
- 1 cup mashed bananas from 2 or 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup plain or vanilla non-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar, for dusting on top
- Position an a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350F degrees. Lightly mist a bundt pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour, shake out the excess flour and set the pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, cake mix, flour (if using), oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat on medium speed until the mixture lightens and is smooth, about 1-½ minutes longer.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Smooth out the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cake until is deeply golden brown on top and the top springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a long sharp knife along the edges of the pan. Shake the pan to loosen the cake and then invert it onto the rack.
- While the cake is still warm, sift the confectioners sugar over the top so that it melts to form a glaze.
- Let the cake cool for 20 minutes, then slice and serve while still a little warm.
Source: adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns! by Anne Byrn.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this simple banana bundt cake you might also like:
Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake
(*4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus | *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Plus a collection of 8 more WW Friendly Chocolate Cakes from around the web
Low-Fat Pumpkin Spice Cake
(*5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus | *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Along with a collection of 11 more favorite, low-fat pumpkin cake recipes
Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake Recipe
(*6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus | *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
An easy, skinny from scratch cake with 217 calories per slice
If you are serious about baking bundt cakes, it is worth investing in a high quality bundt pan like this one from Nordic Ware.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!