Here is a simple banana bundt cake recipe using a cake mix that is easy and delicious.
Rod just finished a slice of this simple banana bundt cake with ice cream and declared it “one of the best” banana cakes ever; hearty praise from a true cake lover!
This adapted the recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns!
Everyone knows this time of year can be challenging. The thermometer is dropping and you naturally long for warm and satisfying comfort food.
Plus, the days are short. And the weather is cool.
The season of never ending string of Christmas and New Years parties all tax your willpower and endanger your waistline.
Thankfully Eat Stop Eat actually gives you the freedom to indulge in those joyful treats while still losing weight and experiencing growing energy and health.
The Skinny on Simple Banana Bundt Cake
I made a few changes to the original recipe to lighten it up and make it a little more Weight Watchers friendly.
I omitted the additional 1/4 cup of sugar called for since cake mixes are plenty sweet for us. Replaced the sour cream with plain nonfat yogurt and increased it by 1/4 cup and decreased the oil by 1/4 cup.
I also added 2 tablespoons of flour which is a trick my mother learned from her Home Ec teacher decades ago to help cake mix cakes be less crumbly.
With a light dusting of confectioner’s sugar, each slice has a 6 WW PointsPlus Value, which really isn’t so bad for something so sweet and delicious.
When baking banana breads and banana cakes, it’s important to use really overripe bananas for best flavor.
- Vegetable oil spray for coating the pan
- Flour for dusting the pan
- 1 cup mashed bananas (from 2 or 3 very ripe bananas)
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar, for dusting on top
- Position an a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly mist a bundt pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour, shake out the excess flour and set the pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, cake mix, flour (if using), oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat on medium speed until the mixture lightens and is smooth, about 1½ minutes longer.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Smooth out the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cake until is deeply golden brown on top and the top springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a long sharp knife along the edges of the pan. Shake the pan to loosen the cake and then invert it onto the rack.
- While the cake is still warm, sift the confectioners sugar over the top so that it melts to form a glaze. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes, then slice and serve while still a little warm.
Source: adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns!
*PointsPlus® for this simple banana bundt cake calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this simple banana bundt cake you might also like:
Skinny Low Fat Chocolate Cake Recipes – from my files and other blogs and websites with WW PointsPlus Values
Easy Healthy Low Fat Pumpkin Cake Recipes – from my files and other blogs and websites with WW PointsPlus Values
Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake Recipe – an easy, skinny from scratch cake with 6 WW PointsPlus Value
If you are serious about baking bundt cakes, it is worth investing in a high quality Bundt Pan like this one from Nordic Ware.
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.