Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Banana Bundt Cake
Here is a simple banana bundt cake recipe using a cake mix that is easy and delicious.
Rod just finished a slice with ice cream and declared it "one of the best" banana cakes ever; hearty praise from a true cake lover!
This adapted the recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns! (affiliate link) by Anne Byrn
Simple Banana Bundt Cake Recipe Notes
I made a few changes to the original recipe to lighten it up and make it a little more Weight Watchers friendly.
I omitted the additional ¼ cup of sugar called for since cake mixes are plenty sweet for us. Replaced the sour cream with plain non-fat Greek yogurt and increased it by ¼ cup and decreased the oil by ¼ cup.
I also added 2 tablespoons of flour which is a trick my mother learned from her Home Economics teacher decades ago to help cake mix cakes be less crumbly.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Bundt Cake?
With a light dusting of confectioner's sugar, each slice has just 229 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
When baking banana breads and banana cakes, it's important to use really overripe bananas for best flavor.
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you've made this Banana Bundt Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Simple Banana Bundt Cake Recipe
- Vegetable oil spray for coating the pan
- Flour for dusting the pan
- 1 cup mashed bananas from 2 or 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup plain or vanilla non-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar, for dusting on top
- Position an a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350F degrees. Lightly mist a bundt pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour, shake out the excess flour and set the pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, cake mix, flour (if using), oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat on medium speed until the mixture lightens and is smooth, about 1-½ minutes longer.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Smooth out the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cake until is deeply golden brown on top and the top springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a long sharp knife along the edges of the pan. Shake the pan to loosen the cake and then invert it onto the rack.
- While the cake is still warm, sift the confectioners sugar over the top so that it melts to form a glaze.
- Let the cake cool for 20 minutes, then slice and serve while still a little warm.
Source: adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns! (affiliate link) by Anne Byrn.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this simple banana bundt cake you might also like:
Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake
(*4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus | *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Plus a collection of 8 more WW Friendly Chocolate Cakes from around the web
Low-Fat Pumpkin Spice Cake
(*5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus | *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Along with a collection of 11 more favorite, low-fat pumpkin cake recipes
Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake Recipe
(*6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus | *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
An easy, skinny from scratch cake with 217 calories per slice
If you are serious about baking bundt cakes, it is worth investing in a high quality bundt pan (affiliate link) like this one from Nordic Ware.
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Oh this looks yummy! Thank you for the recipe.
I've seen the cookbooks you mention and her recipes are awesome. So far I've just drooled on the pages a little, but not really tried any of the recipes. 🙂
I came straight over when I saw that you had just posted a banana cake recipe. I'm glad I did because this looks outstanding and easy, which is what I like 🙂 May have to do this for Thanksgiving as an alternative to 'everything pumpkin'!
I love banana cake. My friends bought some banana cake in some store and taste like heaven. I am planning to make my own banana cake to share with my friends and surprise them that I can also do that heaven taste banana cake. LOL. I hope that your recipe will help me out of this.
Great recipe! Instead of flour in the pan I dusted it with cinnamon and sugar.
3/4 cup of yogurt?
Yes, Joyce, 3/4 cup yogurt. Good catch! Thanks. I've updated the recipe.
How about if you change the oil to unsweetened applesauce-
This would reduce the amount of points also!
great points altogether, you just gained a brand new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your post that you made some days ago? Any positive?