Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake
Every October, I find myself craving a piece of my mom's fresh apple cake.
The apple cake recipe with fresh apples she made every fall when apple harvest season arrived in Connecticut.
The same apple and cinnamon cake I began making every fall during college. It's a wonderful old-fashioned recipe, very similar to this recipe for fresh apple cake. It's a great cake, but loaded with fat and sugar.
This year I found myself craving a different kind of fresh apple cake.
A light, healthy, low-fat apple cake that would be both delicious and better for me. One that wouldn't shoot my blood sugar sky high and pack on the pounds.
I found exactly what I was looking for in The Sugar Solution Cookbook (affiliate link) - a healthy apple cake recipe that strikes a healthy balance between taste and nutrition and is easy to make.
As the book explains, apples are low in calories and full of pectin, a fiber that slows digestion and helps control your blood sugar and lower cholesterol.
Of course, you realize that the healthiest way to get your apple-a-day is by eating them whole and unpeeled, which is what I do most of the time.
But every fall, for a few days, I opt for a slice of healthy fresh apple cake instead.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Cake?
According to my calculations each serving has just 217 calories and:
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
If you like this healthy harvest fresh apple cake, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Slow Cooker Apple Cake, Fresh Apple Brownies, Skinny Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cake, Easy Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies and Apple Pear Cranberry Crisp
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you've made this Apple Cake with Raisins and Walnuts, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake Recipe
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1-½ cups whole grain pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Coat a 9 x 9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples and brown sugar, stirring to coat the apples well. Let stand for 30 minutes, giving the mixture a stir every once in a while.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir the oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla together until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the apple mixture along with the walnuts and raisins and stir until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Source: The Sugar Solution Cookbook: More Than 200 Delicious Recipes to Balance Your Blood Sugar Naturally (affiliate link) by the Editors of Prevention with Ann Fittante, M.S. R.D.
This video shows how to make apple cinnamon cake - a healthy, low-fat, vegan recipe:
More Healthy Apple Recipes
- Apple Crumble in a Mug (HungryGirl)
- Autumn Apple & Grape Medley (SkinnyTaste)
- Caramel Apple Loaf (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Fresh Apple Bran Muffins (SkinnyKitchen)
- Apple Cinnamon Smoothie (HungryGirl)
Watch as Stephanie of JoyofBaking.com demonstrates how she makes her own version of fresh apple cake:
Search for More WW Friendly Cake Recipes
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Is there a way to use all-purpose white flour? I'm a senior and have no use for a variety of flours.
Sure! Just use all purpose flour instead! ~Martha