Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake
Every October, I find myself craving a piece of my mom’s fresh apple cake.
The apple cake recipe with fresh apples she made every fall when apple harvest season arrived in Connecticut.
The same apple and cinnamon cake I began making every fall during college. It’s a wonderful old-fashioned recipe, very similar to this recipe for fresh apple cake. It’s a great cake, but loaded with fat and sugar.
Skinny on Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake
This year I found myself craving a different kind of fresh apple cake.
A light, healthy, low-fat apple cake that would be both delicious and better for me. One that wouldn’t shoot my blood sugar sky high and pack on the pounds.
I found exactly what I was looking for in The Sugar Solution Cookbook: More Than 200 Delicious Recipes to Balance Your Blood Sugar Naturally – a healthy apple cake recipe that strikes a healthy balance between taste and nutrition and is easy to make.
As the book explains, apples are low in calories and full of pectin, a fiber that slows digestion and helps control your blood sugar and lower cholesterol.
Of course, you realize that the healthiest way to get your apple-a-day is by eating them whole and unpeeled, which is what I do most of the time.
But every fall, for a few days, I opt for a slice of healthy fresh apple cake instead.
According to my calculations each serving has just 217 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Watch as Stephanie of JoyofBaking.com demonstrates how she makes her own version of fresh apple cake:
If you like this healthy harvest fresh apple cake, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Slow Cooker Apple Cake, Fresh Apple Brownies, Skinny Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cake, Easy Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies and Apple Pear Cranberry Crisp
Learn a little more about Weight Watchers Freestyle in this brief video:
Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake Recipe
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups whole grain pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Coat a 9 x 9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples and brown sugar, stirring to coat the apples well. Let stand for 30 minutes, giving the mixture a stir every once in a while.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir the oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla together until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the apple mixture along with the walnuts and raisins and stir until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video shows how to make apple cinnamon cake – a healthy, low-fat, vegan recipe:
More Healthy Apple Recipes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!