Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Recipe of the Day – Slow Cooker Apple Cake
Check out this slow cooker apple cake!
It’s my first attempt at baking in the slow cooker. I’m really impressed with the results.
This apple cake baked up moist, dense and delicious. Chock full of chunks of apples, it’s a perfect dessert for fall.
Every October, I find myself craving a piece of the fresh apple cake my mom made when I was a kid. So, it’s become a tradition to bake it or something similar.
For the past two years, I’ve made this Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake, which is much lighter and healthier than Mom’s original, while still satisfying my craving.
So, I was excited to see this slow cooker apple cake recipe, in my latest cookbook find, Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook: 250 New Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes! by Phyllis Good.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Apple Cake
I loved the notes included with this slow cooker cake recipe. If they hadn’t been there I would have panicked too. “When I first made this cake I was sure I should have used more flour, sugar and eggs. But I decided to see if the apples were juicy enough to hold things together and wind up with a dense and delicious finish. And it worked!!”
It really is mostly chopped apples coated with what seems like too little cake batter. But go with it!
I made a few changes from the original recipe. I substituted 3 tablespoons canola oil for 1/4 cup melted butter. Decreased the sugar from 1 cup to 3/4 cup. And decreased the chopped nuts from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup, to save a few calories/Weight Watchers Points.
This apple cake turned out better than I expected. It was sweet, but not too sweet, with a nice hint of cinnamon.
Chock full of chopped apples, the texture was dense and moist.
According to my calculations, each slice has 235 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *9 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Most sweet treats have doubled with WW New Beyond the Scale SmartPoints, so finding that this has only gone up by 50% was a nice discovery.
It’s relatively low in sugar and packed with apples, which are no longer counted in the Points calculation with SmartPoints.
Mom and Rod both gave it their enthusiastic approval. I will definitely be making this slow cooker apple cake again.
Stephanie from JoyOfBaking.com demonstrates how she makes her apple cake:
If you like this easy slow cooker apple cake, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers apple friendly recipes including WW 4-Ingredient Apple Pancake Puff, Slow Cooker Applesauce Spice Cake, Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cake, Skinny Apple Brownies and Cranberry Apple Oatmeal Cookies
Lightened Up Slow Cooker Apple Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped apples, peeled or not (2 to 3 apples, I used Pink Lady's)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Grease and flour a bread pan or baking dish that fits in your slow cooker. Place a trivet or metal mason jar rings in the bottom of your slow cooker to support the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until creamy and well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until well combined. Stir in the apples and walnuts. (It will seem like too little batter for so many apples, but it's not.)
- Scrape the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Cover the pan with foil. Set into the cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker with the slow cooker lid. Bake on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Begin checking after the slow cooker apple cake has been cooking 2 hours. If it isn't done, cover and continue cooking for 15 to 30 more minutes and then check it again.
- When the cake is done, carefully lift the hot baking pan out of the slow cooker and set it on a wire rack to cool for at least 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 8 slices and serve.
Source: Adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook: 250 New Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch how you can make your own healthy, low calorie apple spice cake at home:
More Weight Watchers Apple Recipes:
Skinny Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze (SkinnyKitchen)
Cream Cheese Apple Coffee Cake (SlenderKitchen)
Caramel Apple Loaf (DrizzleMeSkinny)
Maple Glazed Apple Cider Doughnuts (LaaLoosh)
Apple Crumble in a Mug (HungryGirl)
Gooey Whole Wheat Apple Bars with Apple Cider Glaze (TheYummyLife)
Apple Sliced Scones with Spiced Glaze (SkinnyTaste)
Skinny Caramel Apple Pie Trifle (SkinnyKitchen)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!