Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Apple Brownies
(147 calories | 6 6 6 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Moist and chewy blonde brownies chock full of chopped apples and walnuts.
If you’re like me and love apple desserts, I hope you give these simple apple brownies (AKA apple nut bars) a try.
The Skinny on Apple Brownies
I made only a couple of changes – using white wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour and decreasing the butter by half, which results in a slightly lighter and healthier apple brownie that, I believe, tastes as good as the original.
Although, the original recipe title is for “Apple Brownies,” since these days most of us automatically associate ‘brownies’ with chocolate, a more appropriate name might be “Apple Nut Bars.”
I adapted this old-fashioned apple brownies recipe from one of my favorite old cookbooks, Cooking Down East by Marjorie Standish, who has been called the Julia Child of Maine.
Her book is a collection of recipes for the kind of simple home cooking I grew up eating and am more drawn to with each passing year.
According to my calculations, each serving of these apple brownies has about 147 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
I hope you like these skinny apple brownies as much as we do. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like these healthy apple brownies, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Low-Fat Cranberry Apple Oatmeal Cookies, WW Slow Cooker Apple Cake, Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies, Crock Pot Apple Compote and Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Cake
If you’ve made this Apple Brownies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Apple Brownies Recipe (AKA Apple Nut Bars)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples (peeled, cored, and finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose or white wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan. (Or for easy cleanup, since these apple brownies are a bit sticky, line a pan with foil and grease the foil.)
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat it with an electric mixer on medium until creamy.
- Gradually add the sugar while continuing to beat. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until creamy.
- Stir in the chopped apples and nuts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gently stir the flour mixture into the apple mixture. (The batter will be very thick.)
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into 16 squares.
Source Cooking Down East by Marjorie Standish
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video demonstrates how to make another apple dessert – High Protein Low Sugar Caramel Apple Brownies:
More Apple Dessert Recipes Made Lighter:
- Fresh Apple Squares – a layer of apples baked between two layers of crumbly crust with 4 WW PointsPlus value from Eating Well
- Delightfully Baked Apples – filled with oats, cinnamon & brown sugar from Gina at SkinnyTaste
- Apple Pie Parfait – a simple decadent no-bake snack with cinnamon and Greek yogurt from Simple Nourished Living
- Red Hot Apple Pie in a Mug – Easy single-serve apple pie with only 3 WW SmartPoints and topped with Red Hots cinnamon flavored candy
- Mini Cinnamon Apple Tarts – warm, gooey, homemade apple pie filling in crispy wonton wrappers from EmilyBites
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!