Moist and chewy blonde brownies chock full of chopped apples and walnuts.
If you’re like me and love apple desserts, I hope you give these simple apple brownies (AKA apple nut bars) a try.
I made only a couple of changes – using white wheat flour instead of all-purpose and decreasing the butter by half, which results in a slightly lighter healthier apple brownie that, I believe, tastes as good as the original.
Although, the original recipe title is for “Apple Brownies,” since these days most of us automatically associate ‘brownies’ with chocolate, a more appropriate name might be “Apple Nut Bars.”
I adapted this old-fashioned apple brownies recipe from one of my favorite old cookbooks, Cooking Down East by Marjorie Standish, who has been called the Julia Child of Maine.
Her book is a collection of recipes for the kind of simple home cooking I grew up eating and am more drawn to with each passing year.
I hope you like these skinny apple brownies as much as we do.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose or white wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan. (Or for easy cleanup, since these apple brownies are a bit sticky, line a pan with foil and grease the foil.)
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat it with an electric mixer on medium until creamy. Gradually add the sugar while continuing to beat. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until creamy.
- Stir in the chopped apples and nuts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gently stir the flour mixture into the apple mixture. (The batter will be very thick.)
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into 16 squares.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
More Skinny Apple Brownie and Apple Dessert Recipes:
Fresh Apple Squares – a layer of apples baked between two layers of crumbly crust with 4 WW PointsPlus value from Eating Well
Delightfully Baked Apples – filled with oats, cinnamon & brown sugar from Gina at SkinnyTaste
Healthy Harvest Apple Cake – a homey rustic apple cake with just 6 WW PointsPlus from Simple Nourished Living
Healthy Low-Fat Baked Apples – filled with brown sugar and cinnamon with only 3 WW PointsPlus Value from Simple Nourished Living
Skinny Cranberry, Apple, Oatmeal Cookies – moist and chewy with just 2 WW PointsPlus from Simple Nourished Living