WW Recipe of the Day: Low-Fat Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies
These applesauce oatmeal cookies are simple, wholesome cookies that are easy to make and really satisfying. They smell like apple pie as they bake and are an easy drop cookie with a chewy cake-like consistency.
Since these low-fat cookies are chock full of good things like oats, applesauce, fruit and nuts, you can eat them for breakfast without the least bit of guilt. Well, I can!
Healthy Low-Fat Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies Recipe Notes
Especially when I cut back on the butter called for in the original recipe and substitute a bit more applesauce to make up for it. The recipe calls for currants or raisins, but I like to substitute dried cranberries instead.
There are lots of varieties of applesauce out there to choose from - smooth, chunky, sweetened, unsweetened, plain, and spicy. Select whatever applesauce you like best to make these old-fashioned low-fat oatmeal cookies. Whether you choose sweetened or unsweetened the WW Freestyle SmartPoints are the same.
Before beginning to bake your cookies, always remember to position one of your oven racks in the center of your oven.
And always cool your cookie sheets completely before placing cookie dough on them to prevent your cookies from melting and spreading before they have a chance to bake. Enjoy!
How Many Calorie and WW Points in these Low Fat Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies?
According to my calculations, each cookie has a respectable 92 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
These cookies are a homemade treat I can feel good about indulging in every now and again.
If you like these easy oatmeal cookies made with applesauce, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Banana Oatmeal Cookies, Easy No-Bake Chocolate Cookies with Oatmeal + Peanut Butter, WW Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Cranberry Apple Oatmeal Cookies and Low-Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
If you've made these low fat Oatmeal Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Low-Fat Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- 1-½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled a bit
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1-¼ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup currants, raisins, or dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Make sure one of your oven racks is placed in the center or your oven. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium speed, until well blended. Add the applesauce, eggs, and vanilla extract and continue to beat until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the flour mixture, just until it is incorporated. Stir in the oats, dried fruit, and nuts. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes to let the dough firm up.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto your parchment-lined baking sheets about 3 inches apart.
- Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges but still soft on top, about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them, with a spatula, to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Mom's Big Book of Cookies: 200 Family Favorites You'll Love Making And Your Kids Will Love Eating by Lauren Chatman
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video shows how to make no sugar added applesauce oatmeal cookies with raisins:
More Lightened Up Easy Cookie Recipes
- Banana Oatmeal Walnut Cookies (SkinnyTaste)
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Whole-Grain Thin & Crispy Oatmeal Cookies (TheYummyLife)
- Banana Nut Oatmeal Cookies (LaaLoosh)
- Dark Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Oatmeal Cookies (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Instant Pot Deep Dish Oatmeal Raisin Cookie
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!