Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Hershey’s Low-Fat Chocolate Cake
Do you love chocolate cake, but not all the fat and calories?
But it’s possible to have your cake and eat it too if you focus on baking lightened up versions of your favorites.
I’ve gathered my favorite low fat chocolate cake recipes and included more great looking light and recipes for chocolate cakes and cupcakes from other blogs and websites for you.
If you tend to use boxed cake mixes, here are some modifications you can make baking chocolate cakes:
Ideas for Baking Low Fat Chocolate Cakes with a Cake Mix
- Low Fat Chocolate Pumpkin Cake:
Mix one package (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix with 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and beat until smooth.Bake at 350F degrees for about the time specified on the box.Mom shared this recipe with me the other day, when I wanted a quick cake for dinner.I baked it in 2, 8-inch square foil pans – one for us and one to share.To make it extra special I sprinkled each cake with about 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips before baking.It turned out moist and delicious.
- Low Fat Chocolate Yogurt Cake: Mix one package (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix with 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt and 1 cup water and beat until smooth.Bake at 350F degrees for about the time specified on the box.
For either recipe, each small serving (1/24th) of recipe has around 100 calories, 3 g fat, 17 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein about *3 WW PointsPlus and *5 or *6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints (points will vary depending on cake mix).
Not bad for something so sweet and delicious!
This brief video shows another way to make healthy chocolate cake at home:
My Favorite Chocolate Cake From Scratch:
My go to from scratch recipe for chocolate cake is the old time one from the back of the package of Hershey’s cocoa powder.
It’s the chocolate cake my Mom always made and the one I turn to most often.
Because it’s made with cocoa powder and a modest amount of oil, it’s a great way to satisfy your craving for chocolate cake without blowing your calorie bank.
I usually cut the recipe in half (which explains why the amounts look a little funny), but it’s worth it when you have a small family and find it dangerous to have too many tempting sweets around 🙂
Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake Half Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch round or 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and until well combined.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat until very smooth.
- Stir in the boiling water. (The batter will be thin.)
- Pour into your prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pans set on wire racks for 10 minutes and then remove the cakes from the pans and set them on wire racks to cool completely.
- Use low fat buttermilk for the milk
- Try strong coffee in place of the boiling water
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Stir in a handful of mini chocolate chips
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Chocolate Cake Recipes from around the web
Healthy Chocolate Cake – with applesauce and egg whites. Each serving has 195 calories and *5 WW PointsPlus, *9 SmartPoints. From RecipeGirl.
Weight Watchers Chocolate Sheet Cake – this moist and tasty chocolate cake is perfect on its own or ready for decorating. So much better than a boxed mix. Each serving has *6 WW PointsPlus Values, *11 Freestyle SmartPoints. From Weight Watchers.
Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes – a favorite flavor combination in lighter cupcakes with just *5 PointsPlus per cupcake found at LaaLoosh.
Super Moist Low Fat Chocolate Cupcakes – with sugar free fat free chocolate pudding and pumpkin added. Each cupcake has *3 PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. From Gina at SkinnyTaste.
Double Dark Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake – simple & delicious, yet oh so rich and satisfying with *6 WW PointsPlus Value from Nancy at Skinny Kitchen.
35-Second Mini Chocolate Microwave Cake – for the chocolate cake craving that won’t wait. *3 PointsPlus, *3 Freestyle SmartPoints per serving. From Eating Well Living Thin.
Secret Healthy Chocolate Cake – with shredded zucchini instead of oil to keep it moist. Said to be just 100 calories per slice from Yammie’s Noshery.
Secret Ingredient Chocolate Cake – made with canned beets. *6 WW PointsPlus, *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints per serving from Alanna at Kitchen Parade.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!