Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Healthy Microwave Mug Cake (Gluten Free from Scratch without Cake Mix)
(138 calories | 3 3 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
My post for 3-2-1 microwave mug cake is one of the most popular here on Simple Nourished Living.
For good reason.
The Skinny on Microwave Mug Cake for One
The demand was so great, Weight Watchers now sells their own version, WW Chocolate Supreme Mug Cake with just 3 SmartPoints, at their meeting locations. I understand they are so popular they can’t keep them on the shelves.
I was tempted to try the mix for myself until I read the ingredients list:
Ingredients: Ingredients: enriched self-rising flour [enriched bleached wheat flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin, mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), salt, baking powder, calcium sulfate, enzyme], cocoa processed with alkali, corn fiber, canola oil, egg, baking powder, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sucralose, acesulfame potassium.
I’m not a big fan of artificial sweeteners and sucralose (aka Splenda) gives me a wicked headache.
I’ve also been playing with cutting back on gluten, which surprisingly enough has resulted in significant improvement of my rosacea.
So, as I was scanning the new WW Freestyle Program Eat What You Love Booklet, I was excited to spot a recipe for a microwave mug chocolate cake made from scratch, without artificial sweeteners that was also gluten-free!!!
With just 148 calories, 6g fat, 15g carbs, 3g fiber and 9g protein, this little chocolate mug cake has a nutritional profile much better than your standard cake and tastes pretty darned good too!
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Perfect when you want a little cake to satisfy a craving without having to deal with the temptation of leftovers.
Even my cake connoisseur husband liked it. Enjoy!
Mug Cake Recipe Variations
Enjoy it just as it is, or personalize your mug cake with toppings such as powdered sugar, sprinkles, whipped cream and/or sliced fruit.
Just remember that adding certain toppings may increase the SmartPoints value.
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
WW Healthy Microwave Mug Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 tablespoons powdered chocolate peanut butter (I used plain) (1SP)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (0SP)
- 2 tablespoons warm water (0SP)
- 1 egg white (0SP)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (1SP)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (0SP)
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (I used golden syrup) (1SP)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (0SP)
- Coat the inside of a 10 - 12 ounce microwave safe mug with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl stir together all ingredients until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared mug.
- Microwave on high for 60 to 90 seconds or until done in the center.
- Serve warm. (Mine was done in 80 seconds. Time will vary depending on the wattage of your microwave.)
Source: Slightly adapted from WW Freestyle Eat What You Love Booklet
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More WW Friendly Microwave Mug Recipes:
- 3-2-1 Microwave Mug Cake (Simple Nourished Living)
- 4-Ingredient Mug Apple Pancake Puff (Simple Nourished Living)
- Microwave Baked Apple (Simple Nourished Living)
- Microwave Mug Chicken Couscous (Simple Nourished Living)
- 6 Healthy Recipes Made in a Mug in the Microwave (Hungry Girl)
- BLT Egg Mug (Drizzle Me Skinny)
- Microwave Chocolate Banana Mug Cake (Slender Kitchen)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!