It’s turned cold and rainy and I’m craving apple pie, but not the effort required to make it or the calories and points in it, especially this close to Thanksgiving.
What’s a lazy hungry girl to do?
Make a quick and easy microwave baked apple with cranberries and maple syrup instead.
This microwave baked apple, a delicious warm treat perfect for dessert, breakfast or as a mid-afternoon snack, is one of my new favorites.
Skinny on Weight Watchers Microwave Baked Apple
Making a baked apple in the microwave is so quick and easy, you can easily whip one up anytime.
There’s really no wrong way to make a baked apple in the microwave . It’s so simple and delicious.
You can make one at a time, or several. Bake them whole or sliced. Sprinkle them with your preferred sweetener, spice(s) and/or dried fruit(s) of choice. It’s really up to you.
This particular recipe caught my eye as I was thumbing through a great Weight Watchers cookbook , called Fruits and Veggies A to Z that I picked up at a meeting years ago.
I love that it makes a single serving and calls for pure maple syrup, one of my favorite sweeteners.
Be sure to use an apple that cooks up well. Good baking apples have a balance of flavor and will not turn to mush when subjected to heat.
Good apples for baking include Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Jonagold, and Pink Lady.
This microwave baked apple is easy, delicious, and the perfect way to satisfy a craving for apple pie.
According to my calculations each one has just 103 calories and:
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
I shared mine with Rod who heartily endorsed it too.
This video shows another way to make microwave baked apples with cinnamon:
If you like this easy recipe for microwave baked apples, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Sugar-Free Sliced Apple “Cookies”, Apple Yogurt Parfaits, Slow Cooker Apple Cake, Slow Cooker Apple Cobbler and Crock Pot Apple Compote.
WW Microwave Baked Apple with Cranberries & Maple Syrup Recipe
- 1 medium apple (I used a Pink Lady) (0SP)
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries (1SP)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (1SP)
- Sprinkle of cinnamon (0SP)
- Core an apple. Whether you peel it or not is a personal choice. And if you prefer you could slice it up.
- Stuff with the dried cranberries, drizzle with the maple syrup and sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon.
- Place in a microwave save dish. Cover the container, leaving a vent for steam.
- Microwave on HIGH until it's tender, about 2 - 4 minutes. (This will depend on the power of your microwave, size of your apple, etcetera. Start on HIGH for about 2 minutes. Continue in 1-2 minute increments until it's done to your liking. It took about 4 minutes in my microwave.)
- Let cool a little so you don't burn your mouth and enjoy!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch how easy it is to make microwave baked apples with yogurt and granola:
More Apple Recipes for Weight Watchers
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!