Easy Healthy Recipe of the Day: Healthy Baked Apples (2 SmartPoints/3 PointsPlus)
Here’s a simple, low fat, healthy apple dessert perfect for a cool fall evening – or anytime really – since apples are available year round.
Baked apples are the kind of simple old-fashioned dish that never really goes out of style probably because they’re healthy and delicious. Who can resist the smell of cinnamon baked apples wafting through the house? Not me. I took them to a friend’s house for dessert a while back. Drizzled with a little low fat custard sauce, they were a hit with both the adults and the kids.
These healthy baked apples make a great dessert – plain or topped with low fat vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a real treat. I think they’re great as part of a healthy breakfast from time to time as well.
Skinny on Healthy Baked Apples Recipe
They’re easier than a lot of other apple desserts since you don’t have to fuss with peeling and/or slicing the apples. You can use whatever kind of apples you like best for this easy healthy dessert. Cooking apples such as Jonathan, Rome Beauty, Granny Smith work well. (Granny Smiths will be tart.) I’ve also used Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Pink Lady (my favorite) and Braeburn with good success. So, I’d say go with what you’ve got.
These healthy baked apples can be customized too. Feel free to add up to 1/4 cup of other healthy ingredients – such as chopped dried fruit, coarsely chopped nuts, low fat granola or quick cooking oats – to the sugar, butter and spices.
According to my calculations each serving has 116 calories and *3 Weight Watchers Points Plus. Enjoy!
- 2 large apples
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup water or apple juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the apples in half around the middle. Remove the core and seeds with a small spoon or knife.
- Place the apples in an ovenproof baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon this mixture into the centers of your apple halves. Pour water or apple juice into the baking dish.
- Bake apples for 40 to 45 minutes or until the apples are tender, basting them occasionally with the juices from the baking dish.
- Serve warm with low fat ice cream, whipped cream or plain or vanilla yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.
*PointsPlus® for these healthy baked apples calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
More Favorite Recipes for Baked Apples:
- Baked Apples – Simply Recipes
- Microwave Baked Apples – Simple Nourished Living
- Cinnamon Baked Apples – Eating Well
- Microwave Baked Apples Two Ways – Fat Free Vegan
More Easy Healthy Apple Recipes for Weight Watchers:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.