WW Recipe of the Day: Low-Fat Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosted
(171 calories | 8 8 8 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Low fat banana cake, a lighter from scratch fresh banana cake with a thin layer of sweet peanut butter frosting. This banana cake is an old family favorite recipe that I've tinkered with—decreasing the sugar and fat - to make it Weight Watchers friendly.
I also cut the frosting recipe in half, spreading the cake with a thinner layer of sweet peanut butter frosting - so you get all the lusciousness; just less of it.
If you don't like peanut butter frosting, feel free to substitute a thin layer of your favorite icing—vanilla, chocolate, cream cheese, and coconut—would all be delicious.
The original recipe is from one of my favorite baking books, Sylvia's Cakes and Breads: Famous Recipes from a Small Maine Kitchen , by Sylvia Hocking, who for years ran a little bakeshop and mail order business from her home kitchen and whose clients included Julie Andrews, Dave Grusin, and John Williams.
How many calories and WW points in this peanut butter frosted banana caked?
According to my calculations, each serving has 171 calories and
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you've made this Low-Fat Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Healthy Low Fat Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- ⅓ cup coconut oil or vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 large very ripe bananas)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8-inch or 9 x 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the coconut oil and sugar until well blended. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk and add to the mixture.
- Add the mashed bananas and beat until well blended.
- Add the flour and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the baking pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place the butter and water in a very small saucepan and heat to boiling. Pour over the sugar. Stir in the peanut butter until well blended and creamy.
- Quickly spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
Source: Sylvia's Cakes and Breads: Famous Recipes from a Small Maine Kitchen by Sylvia Hocking
If You Like this Low Fat Banana Cake You Might Also Like:
- Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding - a comfort food makeover with just 7 WW SmartPoints
- Easy Microwave Mug Banana Cocoa Pudding Cake - satisfy those chocolate urges with this simple single-serving microwave pudding cake
- Chocolate Banana Muffins - a low calorie, healthier alternative to sugary coffee shop baked goods
- Healthy Harvest Fresh Apple Cake Recipe - lighter, healthier apple cake
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!