WW Recipe of the Day: Nigella’s Chocolate Banana Muffins
(182 calories | *6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
A low calorie alternative to coffee shop and Costco muffin dietary disasters, these chocolate banana muffins from Nigella Lawson weigh in with just 182 calories and *6 Weight Watchers freestyle SmartPoints.
Perfect for a weekend breakfast treat, especially when you have overripe bananas on the counter just begging to be turned into something delicious.
I’m always on the lookout for new ways to use up the over ripe bananas that invariably end up languishing on the counter. I can’t stand to toss them away.
Banana bread is the obvious solution.
Even easier is to peel them and then toss them into a ziplock bag for the freezer so they are there when you want a healthy smoothie.
But when I spied this recipe in Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home , I knew it was just what I wanted to do with the three overripe bananas in my fruit bowl.
Like Nigella, I consider muffins a treaty weekend breakfast item.
But these chocolate banana beauties could work for dessert too. Especially, if you like me, prefer not too sweet sweet treats.
How Many Points in Nigella Lawson’s Chocolate Banana Muffins?
According to my calculations each of these Chocolate Banana Muffins from Nigella Lawson have *6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints, I think these chocolate banana muffins are worth the splurge.
And are much better than coffee shop versions that can easily set you back 20 or more SmartPoints.
Or consider Costco’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffin, which I’m embarrassed to admit I used to eat with regularity, clueless of the caloric consequences. Each of those muffin monstrosities contains a shocking 690 calories, 38 grams of fat, 79 carbs, 48 grams of sugar, and 30 Freestyle SmartPoints.
Yikes! No wonder my muffin top kept getting bigger, landing me in Weight Watchers.
But now with the new WW Freestyle Program and its expanded list of Zero SmartPoints Foods I am finding it easier than ever to indulge in the occasional homemade baked treat while maintaining my goal weight.
The key is using all those healthy fruits, vegetables, beans, and lean proteins as the basis for most of my meals, leaving from for a few tasty treats each week. Are bananas free on WW?
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Nigella Lawson’s Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe Notes
These muffins are really easy to make with just a handful of common pantry staples.
Delicious still warm from the oven, these muffins will keep for 2 or 3 days in an airtight container in a cool place, if they last that long. To prevent overinduling – do what I do – share with family and friends or individually wrap and pop in the freezer.
Reheat in a warm oven for 5 to 8 minutes or zap them in the microwave for a few seconds to bring ’em back to life.
For a sweeter treat, sprinkle with confectioners sugar or drizzle with a bit of icing. Enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe Variations:
- Add a handful of chocolate chips and/or chopped walnuts
- For a sweeter treat, sprinkle with confectioners sugar or drizzle with a bit of icing
If you’ve made these yummy low calorie Chocolate Banana Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cup flour (8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons best-quality unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Place paper liners in a 12 cup standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a potato masher or electric mixer.
- Beat in the oil, and then the eggs and sugar.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Add this to the banana mixture and stir just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the lined muffin cups.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes minutes, until dark, rounded and set.
- Take the pan from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 2 or 3 minutes and then take them out and place them directly on the wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home by Nigella Lawson
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch how to make another version of healthy banana chocolate chip muffins in this video from A Sweet Pea Chef:
If you like Nigella’s chocolate banana muffins you might also like:
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- Double Chocolate Bran Muffins
- Ina Garten’s Chunky Banana Bran Muffins (Small Batch)
- Skinny Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Weight Watchers 2-Igredient Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!