WW Recipe of the Day: Healthy Double Chocolate Bran Muffins
I've been meaning to share these healthy double chocolate bran muffins for a while.
I first spied them on Cookie Madness, where Anna calls them Fiber One Chocolate Muffins.
And then in Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes (affiliate link), where they're dubbed Double Chocolate Muffins.
Regardless of what you call them, these double chocolate bran muffins are delicious.
I made them on Valentine's Day so I could justify eating chocolate for breakfast.
Rich, but not sweet and filling, I thought they were fabulous. Rod, Mom, Neal and Pete all agreed.
Skinny on Healthy Double Chocolate Bran Muffins
Low in fat and packed with fiber, these yummy healthy double chocolate bran muffins are a delicious treat you can indulge in without guilt.
According to my calculations, each muffin has 210 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
Under the WW Freestyle SmartPoints system, these muffins have increased to *9 WW Freestyle SmartPoints! So, I've started baking them in mini muffin tins instead.
If you make 30 mini muffins, each one will have *3 Freestyle SmartPoints, perfect when you want a healthy chocolate treat.
I'll definitely be making them again. Enjoy!
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you've made these Chocolate Bran Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Double Chocolate Bran Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup Fiber One Cereal, crushed after measuring
- 1-⅓ cups buttermilk, or 1-¼ cups regular milk plus 4 teaspoons vinegar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line 10 muffin cups of a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- To crush the cereal, place it in a ziplock plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the crushed cereal and buttermilk. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes to soften cereal.
- Add oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla and stir until very well mixed.
- Stir in cocoa, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Add the flour and stir just until mixed.
- Stir in chocolate chips and divide evenly among the 10 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (My muffins were ready after baking for 17 minutes).
- Immediately remove the muffins from the pan and let cool a bit on a wire rack. Serve warm.
- Or bake in mini muffin tins instead. Bake until done, about 12 minutes or so.
Source: slightly adapted from Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes (affiliate link)
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like these double chocolate bran muffins, you might also like:
- Banana Bran Chocolate Chip Bread
- Ina's Chunky Banana Bran Muffins (Small Batch)
- Light Chocolate Banana Muffins
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
I just took them out of the oven! We will see later!? I also added some coffee extract.
Hope you like them, Janice! Coffee extract is an interesting addition!!
Fibre one cereal, is that an all-bran cereal? I'm from Pretoria, South Africa.
Yes, Wanita, it is. All-Bran cereal should work as a replacement, though your muffins may be a little less sweet. I believe Fiber One tastes a little sweeter than All-Bran
I made these over Thanksgiving holiday. Everyone loved them.
Thanks, Christi! I appreciate you taking the time to comment 🙂 We loved them too!