I’ve been meaning to share these healthy double chocolate bran muffins for a while.
I first spied them on Cookie Madness, where Anna calls them Fiber One Chocolate Muffins.
And then in Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes, where they’re dubbed Double Chocolate Muffins.
Regardless of what you call them, these double chocolate bran muffins are delicious.
I made them on Valentine’s Day so I could justify eating chocolate for breakfast.
Rich, but not sweet and filling, I thought they were fabulous.
Rod, Mom, Neal and Pete all agreed.
Skinny on Healthy Double Chocolate Bran Muffins
Low in fat and packed with fiber, these yummy healthy double chocolate bran muffins are a delicious treat you can indulge in without guilt.
Each muffin has 210 calories and 5* Weight Watchers Points Plus.
Under the SmartPoints system these muffins have increased to 9* SmartPoints! So, I’ve started baking them in mini muffin tins instead.
If you make 30 mini muffins, each one will have 3* SmartPoints, perfect when you want a healthy chocolate treat.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
I’ll definitely be making them again.
- 1 cup Fiber One Cereal, crushed after measuring
- 1⅓ cups buttermilk or 1¼ cup regular milk plus 4 teaspoons or vinegar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line 10 muffin cups of a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- To crush the cereal, place it in a ziplock plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the crushed cereal and buttermilk. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes to soften cereal.
- Add oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla and stir until very well mixed.
- Stir in cocoa, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Add the flour and stir just until mixed.
- Stir in chocolate chips and divide evenly among the 10 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (My muffins were ready after baking for 17 minutes).
- Immediately remove the muffins from the pan and let cool a bit on a wire rack. Serve warm.
- Or bake in mini muffin tins instead. Bake until done, about 12 minutes or so.
Source: slightly adapted from Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like these double chocolate bran muffins, you might also like:
Today’s food for thought…
There is no man living that can not do more than he thinks he can.
~ Henry Ford
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.