WW Recipe of the Day: Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding
(210 calories | *7 WW SmartPoints)
This recipe for WW Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding was the first to catch my eye while scanning the Winter 2019 edition of WW Magazine and for good reason: It’s delicious! A comfort food makeover made lighter and healthier and definitely worth the SmartPoints!
I love simple homespun desserts like this made from everyday ingredients. It’s also a great way to use up overripe bananas and/or day old bread that’s past its peak.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this WW Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding?
According to my calculations, each serving has 210 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Lighter Healthier Chocolate Bread Pudding Recipe Notes
How this recipe was lightened up:
- Used low-fat milk instead of whole milk and heavy cream to create the richness with much less fat.
- Used really ripe bananas for their natural sweetening power and creamy consistency instead of lots of sugar.
- Used day old french bread instead of buttery brioche or eggy challa, which works well to absorb the eggy custard mixture.
- Used finely chopped chocolate scattered throughout the pudding to really up the flavor, instead of more traditional raisins.
This banana bread pudding needs to refrigerate at least one hour before baking.
How to Make this WW Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding
This chocolate banana bread pudding may seem intimidating but it is really very easy to make. You just stir everything together and let set in the refrigerator until the bread has a chance to absorb the eggy milk mixture. Then bake till set.
That’s all there is to it! Here’s how to do it step-by-step:
Step 1: Coat a Glass Pie Dish with Nonstick Cooking Spray & Gather Your Ingredients
I used a 9-inch pyrex glass pie dish.
Step 2: Make the Custard Mixture
In a large bowl mash the bananas…
Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and stir or whisk until well blended…
Stir in the milk, bread and 2 tablespoons of the chocolate…
Step 3: Pour Mixture into Prepared Pie Plate
Pour the bread pudding mixture into the prepared pie plate . Spread it out evenly with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour or up to overnight.
Step 4: Bake Until Set & Golden
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Bake the bread pudding, uncovered, until golden brown and set, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining chocolate. Return to the oven and continue baking until the chocolate melts, about 5 minutes more.
Step 5: Remove from the oven and let bread pudding stand at least 10 minutes before serving
Cut into 8 equal wedges. Garnish as desired.
WW Chocolate Bread Pudding Serving Suggestions
Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream and a few berries or banana slices. Also great with a small scoop of Vanilla yogurt or ice cream.
If you’ve made this lightened up Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
WW Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium very ripe bananas (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1-1/3 cups low fat milk
- 5 ounces day old French bread cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1-1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- 1 cup raspberries or other fruit
- Coat a 9-inch deep-dish oven safe pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas. Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and stir or whisk until well blended. Stir in the milk, bread and 2 tablespoons of the chocolate.
- Transfer the remaining chocolate to a small bowl and set it aside.
- Pour the bread pudding mixture into the prepared pie plate. Spread it out evenly with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Bake the bread pudding, uncovered, until golden brown and set, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining chocolate. Return to the oven and continue baking until the chocolate melts, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and let bread pudding stand at least 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 8 equal wedges.
- Best served warm with a 1-tablespoon dollop of whipped cream and a few berries per wedge.
Recipe source: WW Magazine Winter 2019
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this enlightened Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding, you might also like
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!