Here's my take on Healthy Low-Fat Banana Nut Bread.
I love love love all things banana, which becomes quite obvious when you take a look at all the banana recipes I've posted here on Simple Nourished Living. I especially love banana nut bread and have tried dozens of different banana bread recipes from simple to complicated through the years.
These days I'm having fun trying to make my favorite foods lighter and healthier and as simple as possible, without sacrificing flavor. Or texture—which can be a real problem when you try to decrease too much fat from baked goods.
This low fat banana bread recipe comes from an unexpected source. Not from my Weight Watchers cookbooks or Ellie Krieger cookbooks, but from my very first cookbook—The Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion Cunningham.
Marion describes this low fat banana nut bread as pure and simple banana bread, heavy, moist and dark. And she is so right.
This recipe doesn't call for any special ingredients usually associated with low fat baking. No egg whites. No applesauce. All the moisture necessary comes from lots of ripe mashed bananas.
The only fat in the recipe comes from the egg yolks and walnuts—two very healthy sources of fat, in my opinion.
I tweaked the recipe slightly. Instead of using 2 cups of all-purpose flour, I used 1 cup all-purpose and ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour, which is finer in texture than regular whole wheat. I also swapped out ¾ cup of sugar for ½ cup of light brown sugar and cut the amount of nuts in half.
For the best banana bread make sure your bananas are very very ripe.
I don't think you'd ever guess that this banana nut bread is low fat. If you like moist and dense banana bread, you're going to love this one.
I enjoyed a slice spread with peanut butter and topped with banana slices for breakfast this morning. It was one of the best peanut butter and banana sandwiches ever.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Banana Nut Bread?
According to my calculations, each slices has about 154 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Banana Nut Bread, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Healthy Low Fat Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- 4 large ripe bananas, well mashed (1-¾ cups)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the bananas and eggs together until they are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, salt and baking powder until well combined.
- Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture, just until blended and then stir in the walnuts.
- Put the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
Source: The Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion Cunningham
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this low-fat banana nut bread, you might also like:
- Skinny Healthy Banana Coconut Date Muffins
- Low-Fat Banana Cake
- Banana Cranberry Muffins
- Skinny Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Moist Banana Nut Bread
- Skinny Banana Oatmeal Muffin and Bread Recipes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!