Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Banana Cranberry Muffins
(169 calories | *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
I got the inspiration for these Banana Cranberry Muffins from a similar recipe for Cranberry Banana Bread featured in a recent Weight Watchers weekly.
With a bag of cranberries in the fridge and 3 overripe bananas on the counter, it seemed like the perfect time to do a little baking.
But I decided I wanted banana cranberry muffins instead of bread.
The Skinny on Banana Cranberry Muffins
Muffins are better portion controlled, making them easier to freeze and/or share.
But before just going ahead and making the WW Cranberry Banana bread recipe and then baking it in muffin tins, I turned to an old Betty Crocker Cookbook for inspiration and discovered a recipe for banana muffins that called for less sugar (1/3 cup instead of 3/4) and decided to go with it instead.
I made a few more adjustments, including substituting white wheat flour for half the all-purpose flour and decreasing the oil from 1/2 to 1/4 cup.
I also sprinkled a little bit of large crystal raw sugar on top.
I enjoyed one of these banana cranberry muffins while still warm-from-the-oven and thought it was moist and delicious. I loved the contrast of the tart cranberries and sweet bananas. And the little bit of raw sugar sprinkled on top added a nice sweet crunch.
Once they were cool, I placed 6 of the remaining muffins in little baggies to share with friends and family, leaving us with five to enjoy this week for breakfast.
I think homemade muffins are always best the day they’re made. But a quick re-warming in the toaster oven or microwave can revive them for a couple days more.
The other option is to individually wrap them and place them in the freezer for an occasional treat.
According to my calculations, each muffin has 169 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Cranberry Banana Muffins Recipe Notes
Muffins are best warm from the oven the day they are baked.
To reheat a muffin, place it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
You can individually wrap extra muffins and then place them in a zipper freezer bag in the freezer. Remove and defrost on the counter, or heat in the microwave for 20 to 25 seconds.
If you’ve made these Skinny Banana Cranberry Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked them.
Banana Cranberry Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup mashed bananas, 2 - 3 medium
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup white wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons large-crystal sugar to sprinkle on top, optional (I used washed raw cane sugar)
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400F degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. (I then sprayed the bottom of the paper liners with a bit of nonstick cooking spray.)
- In a large bowl stir together the mashed bananas, chopped cranberries, egg, milk, brown sugar, and canola oil until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together the white wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir just until the flour is moistened. (The batter will be lumpy.)
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared muffin cups, filling the cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately remove the muffins from the pan and set them on a wire rack to cool. Enjoy warm.
- Cool completely before storing any leftovers.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like these cranberry banana muffins, you might also like:
- Healthy Low Fat Banana Nut Bread
- Easy Healthy Banana Coconut Date Muffins
- Healthy Banana Cookies with Oats and Chocolate Chips
- Bran Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- Low Fat Cranberry Pumpkin Scones
- Fannie Farmer Old Fashioned Mini Cranberry Breads
- Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Bread
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!