Fresh baked still warm-from-the-oven low-fat cranberry-pumpkin scones make a perfect Autumn Sunday morning breakfast treat, especially if you’re a scone lover, which I am.
The recipe for these low-fat cranberry studded pumpkin scones – from the Weight Watchers PointsPlus I LOVE LEFTOVERS cookbook – has been sitting on my counter for weeks waiting for me to get around to baking up a batch, which I finally did yesterday morning.
(I love Weight Watchers cookbooks. It’s so much easier when you have the nutritional information and/or PointsPlus values all figured out for you and the recipes usually exceed my expectations when it comes to taste.)
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
Skinny on Weight Watchers Low Fat Cranberry Pumpkin Scones
And the verdict? This recipe is another winner. The scones turned out light, moist and delicious. (The only change I made was to substitute buttermilk for the low fat milk called for.) Each one has 164 calories and 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus
- 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons very cold butter, cut into small bits
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoons low-fat (1%) milk (I used ¼ cup buttermilk and 1 tablespoon coconut milk instead)
- 1 tablespoons raw (turbinado) sugar for sprinkling on top
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and ginger.
- Add the small bits of butter to the flour mixture and toss to coat the pieces of butter with flour. Rub the butter into the mixture with your fingertips until the mixture appears crumbly.
- Add the pumpkin puree, egg, cranberries and ¼ cup milk and stir just until moistened.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Scrape the the dough out onto the floured surface and knead lightly. Divide the dough in half and pat each half into a 6-inch disk.
- Cut each disk into 6 even wedges. Transfer the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of each scone with the remaining 1 tablespoon milk and sprinkle evenly with the raw sugar.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centers of the scones comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes. Serve warm.
- Let the scones cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Source Weight Watchers PointsPlus I LOVE LEFTOVERS cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked Weight Watchers Low Fat Cranberry Pumpkin Scones you might also like
Healthy Low Fat Pumpkin Bread, Muffin and Scones Recipe Roundup
Easy Healthy Low Fat Pumpkin Cake Recipe Roundup
Healthy Low Fat Pumpkin Cookie Recipe Roundup
Healthy Pumpkin Pie Recipe Roundup
3 Favorite Pumpkin Bread Recipes Lightened Up
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.