Do you crave sweet baked pumpkin treats this time of year? I certainly do.
But this year I'm concentrating on light and healthy baking, so I can indulge a bit more without packing on the holiday pounds.
I'm having fun baking healthy low-fat pumpkin muffins and pumpkin breads and there's a freshly baked healthy low-fat pumpkin cake cooling on the counter.
I'm still trying to decide which healthy pumpkin pie recipe to try for Thanksgiving. Do you have a favorite?
Experimenting with healthy pumpkin dessert recipes this season has been a lot of fun, but unfortunately, I'm going to run out of time, before I run out of recipes I want to try.
Here's a great collection of healthy low-fat pumpkin cookie and pumpkin bar recipes gathered from around the web (I've even calculated all the PointsPlus values).
While most are for from-scratch pumpkin cookies, I've included a few quick and easy low-fat pumpkin cookie recipes that begin with a pouch of cookie mix or cake mix for those who want to enjoy homemade cookies but are short on time. Enjoy!
10/27/15 Update: Every year around this time I get the urge to make a batch of pumpkin cookies. So, today when my friend's 8-year-old daughter came to spend a couple of hours, we took advantage of the time to bake cookies.
She opted for sugar cookies lavishly decorated with gummy body parts. I decided a batch of old-fashioned soft pumpkin cookies were more my speed.
I pulled out my old Betty Crocker's Cookbook (1978) and made a batch, adding chocolate chips to half the dough and raisins and chopped nuts to the other half. Both were delicious.
Old Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup shortening I used half butter, half shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour I used white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips or ½ cup raisins and ½ cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In a large bowl beat together the sugar, pumpkin, shortening (or butter), egg and vanilla until well blended. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the cookie dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the lined cookie sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until light brown and dry looking on the top, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately remove the cookies from the cookie sheets and place them on wire racks to cool.
9/24/13 Update: These Pumpkin Quinoa Cookies are winners in my book! Using quinoa flour, pumpkin puree, and vegetable oil, these pumpkin quinoa cookies stir together in minutes, making them as easy to make as they are delicious to eat.
And these 2-Ingredient Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies couldn't be easier. They are a quick and easy family favorite.
2. Healthy Low Fat Pumpkin Spice Cookies - Wholesome soft pumpkin cookies with the flavors of molasses, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg are made with canola oil instead of butter. They have 72 calories, 2 g fat, 13 g carbs and just 2 Weight Watcher's PointsPlus Values. Found at Eating Well.
3. Easy Low-Fat Pumpkin Sugar Cookies - A clever recipe that begins with a package of sugar cookie mix and substitutes the ½ cup of butter called for with ½ cup of pumpkin puree. Perfect for non-bakers and people who are short on time. 58 calories, 1 g fat, 12 g carbs and 2 WW Points+. Found at Julia's Healthy Italian.
4. Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal Pecan Cookies - Chewy, low-fat oatmeal cookies made with quick oats, pumpkin, and chopped pecans. These cookies are a little higher in fat and calories - mostly from the healthy pecans. Each cookie has 83 calories, 3 g fat, 13 g carbs and 2 WW PointsPlus Values. From Gina at SkinnyTaste.
5. Super Easy 2-Ingredient Low Fat Pumpkin Spice Cookies - Turn a box of spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree into tasty easy low fat cookies. Based on a batch of 24 cookies, each cookie has 98 calories, 3 g fat, 17 g carbs and 3 WW PointsPlus. You could make smaller cookies to save a few calories/points! Found at AllRecipes.
6. Vegan Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies - Low in calories and fat and chock full of wholesome ingredients. Just 100 calories, 1 g fat, 21 g carbs and 3 WW PointsPlus in each 3-cookie serving. Found at Isa Chandra.
7. Healthy Low Fat Pumpkin Cranberry Breakfast Cookies - Perfect for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast or snack. Each cookie has 68 calories, <1 g fat, 14 g carbs and 2 WW Points Plus Values. Found at GeniusKitchen.com.
8. Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cookies - One or two of these cookies, paired with a cup of milk or a yogurt drink, makes one great breakfast. Each cookie has 59 calories. 1.3 g fat, 11 g carbs and 2 WW Points+. Found at My Whole Food Life.
9. Healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars - Quick, easy, tasty, healthy and delicious pumpkin bars with 83 calories, 4 g fat, 12 carbs and 2 WW Points Plus Values. Found at Joyful Healthy Eats.
10. Chocolaty Pumpkin Bars - Pumpkin bars made over to be lighter and healthier and kid friendly. Each bar has 6 g fat, 16 g carbs, 3 WW Points+. Found at Ever Well.
11. Pumpkin Raisin Hermits - a great Weight Watchers cookie with just 3 PointsPlus Values found at Weight Watchers.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!