As a longtime lifetime Weight Watcher who has attended hundreds of meetings through the decades, I can recite by heart most of the best WW weight loss tips. Instead I’ve decided to record them one-by-one here on the blog for everyone’s benefit!
Best Weight Watchers Weight Loss Tips: Guesstimate your Portions
I love the word guesstimate. I feel my whole body relax when I hear it. Guesstimating means giving ourselves permission to do our best and not sweat the details. It means letting go of the need for perfection.
How are you at guesstimating your portions? How do you get good at it?
Being able to guesstimate your portions is an important skill in the real world. At home you can use your scale and measuring cups, but’s it’s not very practical when you are out to dinner or invited to friends.
Note: If you are a Weight Watchers member, page 41 of the Pocket Guide has suggestions for using your hand to help with portion estimation
fist = 1 cup
thumb = 1 ounce meat or cheese
palm of hand /deck of cards = 3 – 4 ounce portion of protein
cupped hand 1 – 2 ounces of nuts
Party Portion Strategies….
- Sparkling water instead of a drink
- place food in a napkin instead of on a plate
- step away from the food table
- eat lots of raw fruit and veg
- use smaller plates
- don’t let foods on the plate touch
- small cups for drinks with calories
- weigh and measure your food for one meal or all day to help train your eyes so you will be better at guestimating when you are out.
Remember the 5 Ws…
- weigh and measure portions
- weigh in
Portion Guesstimating Quiz… (correct answer = +)
1/4 cup store bought hummus looks like:
- golf ball +
- thumb (1 oz)
- fingertip (1 t)
3 ounce turkey burger looks like…
- palm of your hand+
- closed fist (1 cup)
- tennis ball (1 cup)
1/2 cup potato salad looks like…
- half fist +
- 1/2 tennis ball +
- baseball (1 cup)
one ounce of cheese looks like…
- 9v battery+
- 4 small dice +
- thumb +
Smart thinking at party…
- scope things out first to decide what you really want
- sip don’t slurp, nibble don’t gobble
- eat it. enjoy it. track it. move on.
- Self Talk – “not my last party.” “I will eat again.” ” What is worth the splurge?”
- It’s okay to estimate points. Don’t need to be perfect. Eat lots of veggies to take the edge of hunger
28-Day Challenge: Smart Start Your Weight Loss
Are you ready to firmly plant yourself on the path to lasting weight loss success?
This 28-Day Smart Start Weight Loss eCourse and eBook is your answer.
Over four weeks, you’ll begin establishing habits and routines that you can stick with forever.
You’ll lay the groundwork to slowly, steadily, gently create the happy, healthy, balanced life you crave!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!