WW Recipe of the Day: Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Bars
These skinny banana coconut chocolate chip bars were born of necessity when I needed to use up a couple of overripe bananas.
What do you like to make with overripe bananas?
Then I decided to try to come up with lighter healthier banana chocolate chip bars instead.
I checked a few cookbooks and websites and decided to adapt a recipe for banana chocolate chips squares from the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains cookbook.
To make them lighter and healthier, I reduced the amount of butter called for and increased the bananas to compensate. Then I fiddled with a few other minor changes, including adding a handful of coconut.
These banana coconut chocolate chip bars are tasty, moist and delicious, but turned out more cake like than I would've liked.
They definitely get better with time, so I strongly urge you to try and let them sit overnight before cutting and serving them.
The next time I make them, I'm going to see what I can do to make make them bit more dense and blondie-like.
The family seems to approve of these banana coconut chocolate chip bars because they are disappearing quickly!
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Cookie Bars?
According to my calculations, each serving has 141 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made these Banana Chocolate Chip Bars with Coconut, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose or white whole wheat)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup mashed bananas (about 2)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line an 8-inch square pan with non-stick foil or parchment for easiest cleanup. Or lightly grease the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl , whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt until well blended.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Add the egg, mashed bananas and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir just until combined, then stir in the chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake until set, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For best results let the bars sit overnight before cutting and serving.
- Cut into 16 bars.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this recipe for banana coconut chocolate chip cookie bars, you might also like:
- Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding
- Chocolate Banana Muffins Made Lighter
- Simple 2-Ingredient Banana Oat Cookies
- Healthy Banana Cookie with Oats & Chocolate Chips
- WW Friendly Double Chocolate Banana Bread
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!