Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipe of the Day: Skinny Chicken Broccoli Casserole
This skinny chicken broccoli casserole is a lightened up version of my Mom’s yummy creamy cheesy chicken broccoli casserole from childhood. It was one of her favorite recipes for leftover turkey and chicken. And what’s not to like? It’s quick, tasty and economical.
She always called it chicken and broccoli casserole or turkey broccoli casserole. But it’s really just a quick and easy version of Chicken Divan, an American classic dish created by NYC’s Divan Parisienne Hotel back in the early 1900s. (Classic Chicken Divan calls for making Mornay sauce, a white sauce to which you add grated Swiss and parmesan cheese.)
It’s delicious but a little more work than Mom’s quick and easy version that uses cream of chicken soup instead. (If you want a skinny chicken broccoli casserole calling for homemade sauce check out this Lightened Up Chicken Divan from Gina at Skinny Taste.)
Skinny on Chicken Broccoli Casserole
I made this skinny chicken broccoli casserole by using 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup, non-fat evaporated milk and reduced fat cheddar cheese. I also added more broccoli and used only a light dusting of grated Parmesan and breadcrumbs. And I skipped mixing the breadcrumbs with melted butter and opted to coat the top of the casserole lightly with olive oil from my pump spray bottle.
We enjoyed this skinny chicken broccoli casserole recently with warm whole wheat French bread and a simple green salad. I barely had time to snap a picture before it disappeared! Enjoy!
no cooked chicken – leftover rotisserie chicken or turkey works well
no broccoli – really any cooked vegetable of your choice will work
no cream of chicken soup – any cream soup would work. So would gravy or a combination of canned soup and gravy
no breadcrumbs – skip them or substitute other crunchy crumbs – cornflakes, rice krispies, corn chips, potato chips, crackers, etc.
- 3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 2 packages (10 ounce) frozen broccoli cuts, cooked and drained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounce) 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- ¾ cup non-fat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Italian-flavored dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cooked chicken and broccoli.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the soup, milk and lemon juice. Add this to the chicken and broccoli and stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheddar. Toss the bread crumbs and parmesan together and sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
Variations: For a quicker, easier dish, make this when you have leftover turkey or chicken to use. Substitute asparagus for the broccoli and Swiss cheese for the cheddar for a change of pace. If you don't have bread crumbs, use crushed cracker crumbs, potato chips or corn chips instead.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers zero points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Corn Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken Rice and Broccoli
- Easy Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.