Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Irish Soda Bread Muffins
(181 calories | 9 9 9 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
So this recipe for easy Irish Soda Bread Muffins from the King Arthur Flour is one of the favorites from my recipe files.
I have lots of old recipes here on Simple Nourished Living that I posted before I started including nutritional estimates and Weight Watchers Points. I thought it would be fun to go back through the files and update those that are Weight Watchers friendly.
Like, these easy Irish Soda Bread Muffins.
I first made them several years ago when I was visiting Mom and Dad in Florida.
The Skinny on Irish Soda Bread Muffins
I had to make several adjustments to the original recipe to work with the ingredients available.
I used all all-purpose flour instead of the combination of white and wheat, a combination of chopped dried fruit bits instead of all currants or raisins, and skipped the caraway seeds and sparkling white sugar on top.
More like a biscuit than a muffin, they were a big hit with both my mom, who prefers not-too-sweet muffins and her longtime friend, Mary.
Since then, I’ve made these light and easy Irish soda bread muffins several times with whatever I had on hand. And I’m planning to make them again sometime this month to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
These easy soda bread muffins remind me more of a biscuit than a traditional muffin. They are simple and not too sweet, which is how I prefer them.
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Soda Bread Muffins?
According to my calculations, each muffin has about 181 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made these Irish Soda Bread Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Light & Luscious Easy Irish Soda Bread Muffins Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups currants, raisins or other chopped dried fruit
- 1/2 - 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, to taste (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk, yogurt, or sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted; or 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- sparkling white sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease the cups of a standard muffin pan; or line with papers, and then grease the papers.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, currants or raisins, and caraway seeds (if using).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Quickly and gently stir together the dry and wet ingredients, just until combined. (Stirring more will cause the muffins to be tough.)
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling the cups about 3/4 full. The stiff batter will look mounded in the cups. Top with sparkling white sugar, if desired.
- Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven. Tip the muffins in the pan, so their bottoms don't get soggy. Wait 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool.
- Serve these muffins plain or with butter and/or your favorite jam.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
In this brief video, watch as The Sugarfree Mom shows how she makes her own version of Low-Carb Irish Soda Bread Biscuits
If you like this recipe for Easy Irish Soda Bread Muffins you might also like:
- Darina Allen’s Easy Whole Wheat Soda Bread
- Irish Soda Bread Recipe Roundup
- Irish Brown Bread
- Skinny Broccoli Cheese Muffins
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!