Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipes of the Day: Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage 3 Ways
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner so I’ve got 3 slow cooker corned beef recipes for you to consider celebrating it with.
For many of us, it wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without indulging in a plate of corned beef and cabbage.
It certainly wouldn’t for me. It was a hot topic at my Weight Watchers meeting this week (along with green beer).
While I’m not the least bit interested in green beer… Give me a Guinness thank you very much. It’s a whole lot more filling with fewer calories.
Did you know that Guinness Draught has about 125 calories, while the same about of Budweiser has 145 and skim milk, 129? But I digress!
I’m definitely a fan of corned beef:)
Mom always makes her corned beef and cabbage on the stove top, so for many years I carried on the tradition.
But since I’m always looking for ways to make things quicker, easier and simpler, for the past few years I’ve been experimenting with different slow cooker corned beef and cabbage recipes instead.
I’m so glad I did.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage 3 Ways
For the first recipe, I opted for a “light” recipe, making just a few minor adjustments.
The original recipe called for only 1 cup of water, so the meat braises instead of boils (think steam room instead of hot tub), leaving it moist and tender, not wet and slimy or dried out.
The next time, I braised the corned beef in beer for an extra flavor boost.
And most recently I slathered a mustard-maple glaze on the corned beef and skipped the liquid altogether.
I loved them all and would be hard pressed to chose a favorite! So, I’ve listed them all here for you.
Making slow cooker corned beef is incredibly easy and amazingly delicious, so it will be my go-to way of preparing if from now on.
According to my calculations, each serving of this Crock Pot Corned Beef has 340 calories, *9 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *11 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Slow Cooked Corned Beef, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipe
- 6 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 6 medium red or yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4-pound) corned beef with the seasoning packet, trimmed of any excess fat
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 6 to 7-Quart Oval
- Place the carrots, onion, potatoes and cabbage in the slow cooker.
- Pour water over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the spices from the seasoning packet evenly over the meat and then place the meat on top of the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours (or until the meat and vegetables are fork tender.)
- Remove the corned beef from the slow cooker and let rest on a cutting board for 15 minutes. Thinly slice the meat across the grain. Place on a platter. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the vegetables out of the slow cooker and place them on the platter alongside or around the meat. Serve with mustard or horseradish, if desired.
Source: Slightly adapted from Fix-It And Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
References: Best & Worst Beers in America (Men’s Health Eat This Not That)
Guinness: A Dieter’s Beer Choice (That’s Fit)
If You Like Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage You Might Also Like:
- Stovetop Corned Beef and Cabbage (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Skinny Leftover Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Corned Beef Hash (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Strudel (Weight Watchers)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!