Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipe of the Day: Leftover Corned Beef Cabbage Soup
(119 calories | *3 WW SmartPoints)
I used the leftovers from our St. Patrick’s Day corned beef and cabbage dinner to make this skinny leftover corned beef cabbage soup.
I get such a kick out of turning leftovers into soup; transforming them into a completely different meal. There’s something so satisfying and frugal about it.
Some of my best soups have been concocted from leftovers. (It’s a trait I come by honestly, since my mom still talks about one of the best soups she ever made several years ago using leftover Swiss steak.)
This simple, tasty leftover corned beef cabbage soup stirs together in no time, yet tastes hearty and delicious.
Since I roasted the corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots this year (instead of boiling them), they were the perfect consistency (not too mushy) for turning into soup.
Skinny on Corned Beef Cabbage Soup
A satisfying 1-1/3 cup serving has just *3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
If you want to make this simple leftover corned beef cabbage soup but don’t have the leftovers, you could use a 4-ounce chunk of corned beef from the deli counter and fresh vegetables instead.
They’ll just take a few minutes longer to simmer and become tender. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Leftover Corned Beef & Cabbage Soup Recipe Notes
I liked this soup a lot. Next time I may experiment with using a little allspice (1/4 teaspoon) to season the soup, instead of the savory and thyme.
I’m also curious to experiment with adding some pickling spice blend, or corned beef spice blend, available at Penzeys.
If you enjoy this cabbage soup with leftover corned beef, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Shredded Cabbage Soup, WW Simply Filling Bean and Cabbage Soup, Healthy WW Cabbage Soups, Crock Pot Cabbage Soup with Sausage and Crock Pot Sweet & Sour Soup
If you’ve made this Corned Beef & Cabbage Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Skinny Leftover Corned Beef Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chopped cooked cabbage
- 1 cup chopped cooked potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked carrots
- 4 ounces cooked lean corned beef, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Irish Ale, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon savory
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, optional
- In a large soup pot heat the oil over medium low. Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add the chopped cooked cabbage, potatoes, carrots, corned beef, chicken broth, ale (if using), savory and thyme.
- Stir everything together and bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend.
- Stir in parsley, if using and serve.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like leftover corned beef cabbage soup, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!