Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Simply Filling Shredded Cabbage Soup
Here’s a simple shredded cabbage soup that is perfect when you want a nourishing way to compensate after several days of overindulgence.
Which is exactly what I want to do after spending 3 fun-filled days in Portland exploring the city, visiting with friends and eating and drinking way more than I’m used to.
I enjoyed every minute of our time away. But now I’m ready to ease off the heavy eating for a few days.
A pot of of homemade soup, such as this shredded cabbage soup, is my go-to solution.
The Skinny on Shredded Cabbage Soup
It’s simple and satisfying. Hearty but not heavy, with the ability to fill you for relatively few Points.
This shredded cabbage soup is a Russian soup recipe from the Betty Crocker New International Cookbook (1989).
To make it a little more Weight Watchers friendly, I used less oil and topped mine with plain non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
According to my calculations, each generous serving of 1-1/2 cups of this shredded cabbage soup has about 149 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *2 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
This quick video shows how to make another type of cabbage soup in your slow cooker:
If you like this WW simply filling recipe for shredded cabbage soup, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Simply Filling Slow Cooker Bean & Cabbage Soup, Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Chicken Apple Sausage, Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole, Crock Pot Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup and Leftover Corned Beef & Cabbage Soup
Shredded Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth
- 2 broth cans of water
- 5 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage (1 small head)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 stalk celery (with leaves), sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sour cream or Nonfat plain Greek yogurt, if desired
- Dill weed or parsley, if desired
- Place the olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add the beef broth, water, cabbage, carrots, potatoes and celery. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes.
- Top each serving with a dollop of low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Garnish with dill weed and/or parsley, if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video from Divas Can Cook shows how she makes her own healthy cabbage soup:
If you liked this shredded cabbage soup you might also like:
Un-Stuffed Cabbage Bowl (SkinnyTaste)
New Skinny Cabbage Soup (SkinnyKitchen)
Roasted Cabbage Wedges (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Stuffed Cabbage Soup (LaaLoosh)
5-Minute Spicy Stir-Fried Cabbage (Cookin’Canuck)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!