WW Recipe of the Day: Simply Filling Shredded Cabbage Soup
(149 calories | *2 WW SmartPoints)
Here’s a simple shredded cabbage soup that is perfect when you want a nourishing way to compensate after several days of overindulgence.
Which is exactly what I want to do after spending 3 fun-filled days in Portland exploring the city, visiting with friends and eating and drinking way more than I’m used to.
I enjoyed every minute of our time away. But now I’m ready to ease off the heavy eating for a few days.
A pot of of homemade soup, such as this shredded cabbage soup, is my go-to solution.
The Skinny on Shredded Cabbage Soup
It’s simple and satisfying. Hearty but not heavy, with the ability to fill you for relatively few Points.
This shredded cabbage soup is a Russian soup recipe from the Betty Crocker New International Cookbook (1989).
To make it a little more Weight Watchers friendly, I used less oil and topped mine with plain non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
According to my calculations, each generous serving of 1-1/2 cups of this shredded cabbage soup has about 149 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this WW simply filling recipe for shredded cabbage soup, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Simply Filling Slow Cooker Bean & Cabbage Soup, Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Chicken Apple Sausage, Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole, Crock Pot Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup, Leftover Corned Beef & Cabbage Soup and WW Recipes for St. Patrick’s Day
If you’ve made this simple cabbage soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Shredded Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth
- 2 broth cans of water
- 5 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage (1 small head)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 stalk celery (with leaves), sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sour cream or Nonfat plain Greek yogurt, if desired
- Dill weed or parsley, if desired
- Place the olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add the beef broth, water, cabbage, carrots, potatoes and celery. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes.
- Top each serving with a dollop of low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. Garnish with dill weed and/or parsley, if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video from Divas Can Cook shows how she makes her own healthy cabbage soup:
If you liked this shredded cabbage soup you might also like:
- Favorite WW Friendly Cabbage Soup Recipes (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Un-Stuffed Cabbage Bowl (SkinnyTaste)
- New Skinny Cabbage Soup (SkinnyKitchen)
- Roasted Cabbage Wedges (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Stuffed Cabbage Soup (LaaLoosh)
- 5-Minute Spicy Stir-Fried Cabbage (Cookin’Canuck)
This quick video shows how to make another type of cabbage soup in your slow cooker:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!