This slow cooker cabbage soup with chicken apple sausage is adapted from a recipe for cabbage soup with kielbasa that caught my eye in the Weight Watchers cookbook, Simply Delicious : 245 No-Fuss Recipes–All 8 POINTS or Less.
I substituted chicken apple sausage for the kielbasa and tossed everything into the slow cooker instead of making it on the stovetop. And let me tell you, this makes one incredibly satisfying main-dish soup. I still can’t get over how tasty it turned out and have been enjoying the leftovers for lunch. Rod really liked it too and commented on how filling it was.
At this time of year soups, like this slow cooker cabbage soup, make regular appearances on our dinner menu.
Using the slow cooker makes it so easy.
As I’ve mentioned before, including more soups in our diet has been one of my tricks for easy healthy weight loss/maintenance. They’re such an easy delicious way to increase your intake of vegetables, filling you up with fewer calories.
- 6 ounces chicken sausage with apple, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded (8 cups)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 large carrot, coarsely shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a 4 - 6 quart slow cooker combine the sausage, onion, cabbage, potato, carrot, garlic, broth, thyme, bay leaf, vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 5 to 7 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- Discard the bay leave. Taste and adjust seasoniongs, adding more salt, pepper and/or vinegar as necessary
Source: Adapted from Simply Delicious : 245 No-Fuss Recipes–All 8 POINTS or Less
If you liked this slow cooker cabbage soup with sausage you might also like:
- My post and recipe for slow cooker Spanish Potato and Onion Soup
- My post and recipe for slow cooker Ham and Split Pea Soup
- My post and recipe for a creamy and delicious easy slow cooker Potato Soup
- My post and recipe for easy healthy and delicious slow cooker Lentil Chicken Sausage Stew
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.