Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Chicken Apple Sausage
(145 calories | *4 WW SmartPoints)
This slow cooker cabbage soup with chicken apple sausage is adapted from a recipe for cabbage soup with kielbasa that caught my eye in the Weight Watchers cookbook, Simply Delicious: 245 No-Fuss Recipes All 8 Points or Less .
At this time of year soups, like this slow cooker cabbage soup, make regular appearances on our dinner menu.
Using the slow cooker makes it so easy.
As I’ve mentioned before, including more soups in our diet has been one of my tricks for easy healthy weight loss/maintenance.
They’re such an easy delicious way to increase your intake of vegetables, filling you up with fewer calories.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Chicken Sausage
I substituted chicken apple sausage for the kielbasa and tossed everything into the slow cooker, instead of making it on the stovetop.
And let me tell you, this makes one incredibly satisfying main-dish soup.
I still can’t get over how tasty it turned out and have been enjoying the leftovers for lunch.
Rod really liked it too and commented on how filling it was.
According to my calculations, each generous 1-cup serving has about 145 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 SmartPoints and *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you enjoy this slow cooked chicken apple sausage & cabbage soup, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly soups including Favorite Cabbage Soups for WW, Crock Pot Sweet ‘n Sour Cabbage Soup, Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Beans, Simple Shredded Cabbage Soup and Winter Borscht
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Sausage &Cabbage Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Chicken Apple Sausage Recipe
- 6 ounces chicken sausage with apple, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded (about 8 cups)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 6-quart.
- In your slow cooker, combine the sausage, onion, cabbage, potato, carrot, garlic, broth, thyme, bay leaf, vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, or on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- Discard the bay leave. Taste and adjust seasoniongs, adding more salt, pepper and/or vinegar as necessary.
Source: Adapted from Simply Delicious: 245 No-Fuss Recipes All 8 Points or Less from Weight Watchers
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this slow cooker cabbage soup with chicken sausage, you might also like:
- Healthy Cabbage Soup Recipes
- Spanish Potato and Onion Soup
- Ham and Split Pea Soup
- Potato Soup
- Lentil Chicken Sausage Stew
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!