A simple soup of potatoes, onions and Spanish-influenced seasonings for the slow cooker, perfect for cold weather. Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day, where it’s written as a stovetop recipe. I opted to toss everything in the slow cooker instead.
A few hours later we were rewarded with this hearty and delicious soup ready and waiting for us at the end of a long day. Served with crusty bread and a green salad, it made for a satisfying meal.
Including more soups in our diet has been one of my tricks for easy healthy weight loss. They’re an easy delicious way to increase your intake of vegetables, filling you up with fewer calories.
As Mireille Guiliano says in her wonderful book, French Women Don’t Get Fat, “The evening soup eater tends to consume less fat and less food overall, feeling satiated through the night, after which she needs “a real meal” on rising to get her through the morning.”
And with leftover soup in the fridge, you’ve got a low PointsPlus value solution ready and waiting whenever hunger strikes.
According to my calculations each generous serving of this Slow Cooker Spanish Onion Potato Soup has 141 calories and *3 Weight Watchers Points Plus. Enjoy!
- 4 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut 1-inch thick half moons
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of saffron
- Dash of tabasco or pinch of cayenne (optional)
- In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine onions, potatoes, broth, sherry and seasonings. Cover and cook on low until the potatoes and onions are tender, about 4 to 6 hours on low. Remove the bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Source: Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
More Weight Watchers Soup Recipes
- My post and recipe for easy slow cooker potato soup that’s creamy, healthy and delicious with 6 PointsPlus
- My post and recipe for skinny curried sweet potato soup with coconut milk
- My post and recipe for skinny potato leek soup which is adapted from Jamie Oliver’s recipe
- My post and recipe for a skinny slow cooker beefy French onion soup with mushrooms
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.