Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Creamy Potato-Mushroom Soup
(236 calories | 6 6 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
A rich and creamy blend of potatoes, onions and mushrooms topped with a bit of crispy bacon.
What’s not to like?
A steaming bowl of this hearty, healthy and delicious soup really hits the spot on a cold and dreary winter day.
I love all kinds of soups and have a special soft spot for potato soups, which is obvious when you consider that I’ve managed to collect more than 7 Low Calorie Potato Soup Recipes already.
Do I really need another potato soup recipe?
Yes. I feel justified in adding this creamy potato-mushroom soup because:
- We are in the height of soup season, and
- combining potatoes and mushrooms, this one is different 🙂
Skinny on Creamy Potato Mushroom Soup Recipe
If you like mushroom soup and potato soup you’re really going to love this creamy potato mushroom soup, which combines them both in one yummy bowl.
Serve with a leafy green salad and crusty bread for a satisfying supper.
Leftovers make a quick and easy weekday lunch.
According to my calculations, each generous 1-1/2 cups serving has about 236 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
vegetarian/vegan – skip the bacon, use vegetable broth and non-dairy milk
herby – add 1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped herbs: dill, parsley, basil (one or a combination)
lower carb– substitute cauliflower for some or all the potatoes
veggie rich – add more vegetables – celery, carrots, leeks, cauliflower, parsnips, broccoli, cabbage, squash, etc.
meaty – add lean chopped ham, chicken or smoked turkey
If you like this comforting potato mushroom soup, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including Hamm & Potato Soup Made Lighter, Spinach Artichoke Dip Ravioli Soup, Creamy Cauliflower Potato Soup, Slow Cooker Potato Artichoke Soup and Potato Leek Soup with Smoked Salmon
If you’ve made this Creamy Mushroom Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Creamy Potato Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 2 bacon slices (to keep things simple, substitute a sprinkle of real bacon crumbles)
- 4 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fat-free chicken broth)
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven or soup pot, set over medium heat, until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pot; crumble and set aside.
- Add mushrooms and onion to bacon drippings in pot; saute, stirring often, until the mushrooms are soft about 5 minutes.
- Remove mushroom/onion mixture from pot and set aside.
- Add potato and broth to the pot; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until potato is very tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer potato mixture to a food processor, or blender, and process until smooth. Return to pot. (Alternatively use a stick blender right in the pot.)
- Add milk, mushroom mixture, sherry, salt, and pepper; cook over LOW heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top with crumbled bacon.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
I used the following kitchen tools to make this yummy creamy potato mushroom soup:
Learn how to make your own healthy creamy leek and potato soup:
More Easy Healthy Weight Watchers Soup Recipes
This video demonstrates how to make an easy version of lightened up creamy mushroom soup:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!