Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Potato Leek Soup
Skinny Potato Leek Soup… Leeks, potatoes, onions, carrots and celery cooked in broth until tender.
Skinny on this Skinny Potato Leek Soup
This skinny potato leek soup recipe is made without butter or cream so it’s hearty and healthy and low in Weight Watchers points.
While usually eaten hot, Jamie Oliver claims that “it’s also surprisingly delicious eaten cold on a summer’s day with a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of natural yogurt” in his book, Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals
It’s wonderful hot on a chilly day.
I’m looking forward to trying this skinny potato leek soup chilled this summer when the thermometer begins to soar here in Phoenix.
If you’ve never eaten or cooked leeks, I encourage you to give them a try. They have a wonderful mild, sweet, distinctive oniony flavor.
I was first introduced to them by French Women Don’t Get Fat author Mireille Guiliano, when I made her Magical Leek Soup recipe and have never looked back.
Here’s a great video showing how to clean and cut leeks:
If you like this easy potato leek soup recipe, be sure to check out some of my other easy Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including Crock Pot Creamy Cauliflower Potato Soup, Slow Cooker Potato Artichoke Soup, Slow Cooker Turkey Green Chili Chowder, Slow Cooker Spanish Potato Onion Soup and Slow Cooker Toscana Soup
Skinny Potato Leek Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 pound leeks (3-4 large, white and pale green parts only), quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices**
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth, preferably organic
- 1 pound potatoes (3-4 medium), peeled and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put a large saucepan on medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and leeks and stir them together with a wooden spoon.
- Partially cover the pot with the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape and the onions and leeks are lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth and potatoes to the vegetables in the pot, give everything a stir and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is or use a blender to puree until creamy.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this skinny potato leek soup, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!