Potato Leek Soup... Leeks, potatoes, onions, carrots and celery cooked in broth until tender.
This skinny soup recipe is made without butter or cream, so it's hearty and healthy and low in Weight Watchers points.
While usually eaten hot, Jamie Oliver claims that "it's also surprisingly delicious eaten cold on a summer's day with a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of natural yogurt" in his book, Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals .
It's wonderful hot on a chilly day.
I'm looking forward to trying this skinny potato leek soup chilled this summer when the thermometer begins to soar here in Phoenix.
If you've never eaten or cooked leeks, I encourage you to give them a try. They have a wonderful mild, sweet, distinctive oniony flavor.
I was first introduced to them by French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure author Mireille Guiliano, when I made her Magical Leek Soup recipe and have never looked back.
How Many Calorie and Points in this Potato Leek Soup?
According to my calculations, each serving has 181 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How to Prepare Leeks for Soup
Leeks can be very sandy and need to be washed well. I usually rinse them and then swish them around in a large bowl of water.
Also, after removing the root end, use just the white part and a hint of the pale green leek for the soup.
The dark green portion is too tough and should be used only for making stock or discarded.
Here's a great video showing how to clean and cut leeks:
If you like this easy potato leek soup recipe, be sure to check out some of my other easy Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including Crock Pot Creamy Cauliflower Potato Soup, Slow Cooker Potato Artichoke Soup, Slow Cooker Turkey Green Chili Chowder, Slow Cooker Spanish Potato Onion Soup and Slow Cooker Toscana Soup
If you've made this Creamless Potato Leek Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Potato Leek Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 pound leeks (3-4 large, white and pale green parts only), quartered lengthwise and cut into ¼-inch slices**
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth , preferably organic
- 1 pound potatoes (3-4 medium), peeled and diced into ¼-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put a large saucepan on medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and leeks and stir them together with a wooden spoon .
- Partially cover the pot with the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape and the onions and leeks are lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth and potatoes to the vegetables in the pot, give everything a stir and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is or use a blender to puree until creamy.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this potato leek soup, you might also like:
- Jamie Oliver Spring Vegetable and Bean Soup Recipe
- Slim & Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Favorite Weight Watchers St. Patrick's Day Recipes
- Creamy Crock Pot Potato Cauliflower Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!