WW Recipe of the Day: Skinny Slow Cooker Potato Artichoke Soup
(134 calories | *4 WW SmartPoints)
This easy creamy low-fat potato artichoke soup makes a simple weeknight supper when served with salad and warm crusty bread.
We love potatoes and artichokes, so I was pretty sure we would like this soup when I spied it in Twelve Months of Monastery Soups , one of my favorite resources for simple nourishing soups.
I ended up making lots of changes in the process of adapting the original recipe for the slow cooker, almost beyond recognition.
That’s really what simple wholesome home cooking is all about – taking an idea or recipe and making changes to suit your needs, tastes and what you have available.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Potato Artichoke Soup
This slow cooker potato artichoke soup turned out creamy and surprisingly flavorful, given its simple ingredient list.
It was very easy to toss together too.
Each satisfying serving has 134 calories and *3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Mom, Rod and I all gave this potato artichoke soup high marks.
I stirred in a half cup of fat free half-and-half at the end, but feel free to substitute your dairy or nondairy milk/cream of choice.
To spice things up, you might want to consider one of the following stir-ins or toppings:
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Grated Parmesan
- Olive tapenade
If you’ve made this Slow Cooked Potato Artichoke Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Potato Artichoke Soup Recipe
- 4 all purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained well and chopped
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, optional at the end
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart.
- Combine the potatoes, onion, artichoke hearts, broth, bay leaf and pepper in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Puree the soup in batches in the food processor or blender. Or use a hand held immersion blender.
- Return mixture to the slow cooker if you used a blender/food processor. Add the half-and-half and continue to cook until heated, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. If you feel the soup needs some brightness, stir in fresh lemon juice to taste. (We didn't think it needed it.)
Recipe source: Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Victor D’Avila-Latourrette
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy + Healthy Recipes Using Artichokes
- Easy Skinny Artichoke Soup that comes together in minutes
- Artichoke Soup using fresh artichoke hearts from Simply Recipes
- Creamy Artichoke Soup from Giada DeLaurentiis for The Food Network
- Two Bean Artichoke Salad with just 5 common ingredients
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!