WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Toscana Soup Made Lighter
(175 calories | 5 5 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Are you a fan of Olive Garden's Soup and Salad special? My mom and I are.
So Olive Garden is a frequent choice when we meet for lunch.
This slow cooker toscana soup is a lighter, healthier, easier adaptation of their famous Zuppa Toscana, which has 220 calories and 8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints per serving.
The Skinny on Lightened Up Zuppa Toscana
To lightened Olive Garden's version, I substituted hot Italian-style turkey sausage for pork sausage and non-fat evaporated milk for the cream.
I have nothing against pork sausage and cream. In fact, I love them both.
But it's January. And after a month or more of frequent feasting, it feels good to lighten up where I can.
According to my calculations, each 1-⅓ cups serving of my enlightened version of Zuppa Toscana has 175 calories and
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you've made this lightened up Slow Cooker Toscana Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Toscana Soup Made Lighter
- 1 pound hot Italian turkey sausage links
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 5-½ cups chicken stock or broth
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups chopped kale, tough stems discarded**
- ½ cup non-fat evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper
- Brown the sausage in a nonstick skillet and transfer to a cutting board. When the links are cool enough to handle, slice them ½-inch thick and add to the slow cooker. (I used my 4-Quart.)
- Cut the potatoes into quarters lengthwise. And then cut the quarters into thin slices.
- Add the potatoes to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the chicken stock, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Fifteen to 20 minutes before serving, stir in the chopped kale and evaporated milk and cook until the kale wilts and soup is heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe source: Slightly adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes by Phyllis Good
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like crock pot toscana soup, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!