WW Recipe of the Day: Lentil & Swiss Chard Soup
(216 calories | 5 1 1 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I’m nut’s about soup, so this easy Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup from my Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook , seemed like a perfect choice for this week’s 38 Power Food’s Blog Group topic, Swiss Chard.
I know it may seem kinda crazy to be making soup in Phoenix this time of year, when the temperatures are still in the high 90s. But when you love soup as much as I do, you don’t let the weather stop you 🙂
I can’t believe how quickly time is whizzing by.
We’re now up to week 13 of our challenge to make and write our way through the ingredients featured in Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
How Many Calories and WW Points In This Lentil Soup?
According to my calculations, each generous 1-1/2 cups serving has 216 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
What Makes Swiss Chard A Power Food?
Well, this staple of the Mediterranean, which was discovered by a Swiss botanist (hence it’s name), is another nutritional powerhouse, containing at least 13 different polyphenol antioxidants, as well as a wide array of vitamins and minerals.
It’s an excellent source of vitamins K, A, and C, as well as a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, and fiber.
And if you’re watching your weight, you’ll be happy to know that one cup of chopped Swiss chard has just 35 calories (0 WW SmartPoints).
I made just a couple minor changes to this soup. I added a cup of cooked polenta (because it was in the fridge and it seemed crazy to let it go to waste) which gave the broth nice thickness.
You could also and 1-2 cups of diced tomatoes along with the lentils and broth, for more color and flavor if you wanted.
And I substituted red wine vinegar for the suggested lemon juice.
Be sure to pick over your lentils and remove any stones. Every time I’m tempted to skip this step, I think back to a cooking class I took where the instructor explained she once found a small piece of metal in the lentils she was preparing for a catering event!
This soup turned out hearty and satisfying, perfect for an easy weeknight meal, especially when you add some warm crusty bread. Mom loves Swiss chard so she liked it. Rod liked it. Even my sister (who can be a little picky) liked it. Enjoy!
If you’ve made this low fat Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Weight Watchers Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups lightly packed thinly sliced swiss chard leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons red wine vinegar, or to taste
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover the pot, allowing the mixture to simmer gently until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the chard, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt, pepper and/or vinegar as necessary.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like Weight Watchers Lentil Swiss Chard Soup you might also like:
- Simple Garden Vegetable Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slim & Healthy Cream of Broccoli & Cheese Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard (Everyday Maven)
Other great bloggers participating include:
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!