Weight Watchers Recipe the Day: Tabbouleh Soup
I fell in love with tabbouleh the first time I tasted it, back in the 1980s at “Blazing Salads,” a favorite lunch spot in downtown Boston.
So, imagine my delight when I came across this recipe for tabbouleh soup with lentils and bulgur in 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury, a cookbook that continues to get a lot of use around here.
This tabbouleh soup with lentils and bulgur has all the ingredients you would expect to find in tabbouleh – bulgur wheat, tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley, and mint – along with lentils for added heartiness.
Talk about a delicious, nutritious bowl of soup.
This recipe for tabbouleh soup with lentils and bulgur cooked up really thick, so I added quite a bit more water to thin it. The word “stoup,” Rachael Ray’s term for a cross between a stew and a soup, came to mind when I lifted the lid to give it a stir toward the end of it’s simmer.
Skinny on Tabbouleh Soup with Lentils and Bulgur
I have enjoyed this soup several days in a row for lunch. I shared some with Mom, who also thought it was good, though she commented that she needed to add some salt to season it to her liking.
When I saw her comment I laughed, as I too needed to add both salt and lemon juice to satisfy my taste buds. A good reminder to taste as you go, and then again just before serving, adjusting the seasonings as necessary to please your palate. For me that usually means a little more salt and pepper, and often a squeeze of lemon juice.
According to my calculations each serving has 212 calories and *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. Under the Weight Watchers Freestyle Program, this is now *2 Freestyle SmartPoints.
I would count this as Simply Filling too. There’s 1 tablespoon of oil, but when you divide that among 8 servings, it’s less than 1/2 teaspoon per serving.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you enjoyed this tabbouleh soup, be sure to check my other Weight Watchers Friendly recipes including Spicy Red Lentil Soup, Slow Cooker Sausage Stew with Lentils, Lemony Lentil Quinoa Salad, and Warm Lentil Salad with Salmon
If you’ve made this Tabbouleh Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Tabbouleh Soup with Lentils and Bulgur
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup fine or medium bulgur
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (about 15 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the lentils, bulgur and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and partially cover with a lid. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. If the soup appears to be getting to thick add more water to thin to desired consistency.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, half the parsley, and half the mint. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.1
- Stir in the remaining parsley and mint and the lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, pepper and lemon juice, if required.
Source: 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy + Healthy Soup Recipes:
- Slimming Garden Vegetable Soup
- Skinny Easy Artichoke Soup
- Skinny Zucchini Soup Recipes
- Shredded Cabbage Soup
- Weight Watchers Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!