Weight Watchers Friendly Cookbook Review
5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking – 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury is the cookbook I’ve used most often this summer, which is saying something when you’re a cookbook junkie like me 🙂
It’s packed with recipes that are simple, delicious and healthy, a winning combination if there ever was one!
Everything I’ve made from 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking so far has been delicious and I’ve got lots more recipes bookmarked to try this fall and winter.
The Skinny on 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking
5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking covers all the bases, with recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and snacks.
- Power Snacks, Spreads and Nibbles
- Soups, Stews and Chilis
- Wandwiches, Warps, Burgers and Pizzas
- Meatless Main Dishes
- Poultry and Lean Meat Main Dishes
- Fish and Seafood Main Dishes
- Multigrain Pasta and Noodles
- Side Dishes
- Natural Sugar Sweets
More About 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking
Author: Camilla Saulsbury
Publisher: Robert Rose
Number of recipes: 500
Recipes I’ve tried:
- Summer Vegetable Soup
- Pumpkin Yogurt with Quinoa Crunch
- Waldorf Salad
- Mesclun Salad with Dates and Goat Cheese
- Chopped Greek Salad
- Broccoli Carrot Slaw with Cranberries and Sunflower Seeds
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad
- Lemony Lentil and Quinoa Salad
- Summer Salmon Panzanella Salad
- Summer Vegetable Orzo Soup
- Sweet Potato Bisque with West Indian Spices
- Winter Squash and Goat Cheese Enchiladas
- Eggplant Parmesan Melts
- Easy Ratatouille with Poached Eggs
- Lentil, Mushroom & Kale Burritos
- Farfalle with Tuna and Tomatoes
Recipes I want to try:
- Whole-Grain Blueberry Maple Muffins
- Multigrain Cranberry Breakfast Cookies
- Chewy Cherry Granola Bars
- Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup
- Tabbouleh Soup with Lentils and Bulgur
- Green Club Sandwich (with hummus, avocado and watercress)
- Spicy Salsa Joes
- Greek Pizza
- Speedy Black Bean & Quinoa Skillet
- Spicy Skillet Chicken with Avocado Mango Salsa
- Wagon Wheels with Broccoli, Turkey & Parmesan
- Soba with Shrimp, Lime & Cilantro
- Spiced Date Bread
- Pumpkin Biscuits
- Maple Oat Drop Scones
- Decadent Chocolate Cake
- Whole Wheat Maple Applesauce Cake
- Spiced Carrot Cake with Currants
- Maple Pumpkin Micro-Pies
- Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies
- Cocoa Truffles (made with dates)
Other highlights: The introduction includes a description of The 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking:
- Choose Fresh, Whole Foods;
- Eat Mostly Vegetable and Fruit-Based Foods;
- Opt for Healthy Fats and Proteins;
- Include Superfoods;
- Eat More Whole Grains
And Camilla encourages a healthy balanced approach to eating that doesn’t compromise flavor in the name of “health.”
There’s a chapter detailing a list of ingredients for healthy cooking that includes flours and grains, fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds and their butters, Eggs, Dairy and Non-Dairy Milks, Fats and Oils, Natural Sweeteners, Herbs and Flavorings.
All the recipes include nutritional information (so it’s easy for us Weight Watchers to calculate Points) and cooking tips.
And you’ll find informative health notes and superfoods highlights scattered throughout the book.
There’s also a very useful chart on cooking whole grains that provides grain/water ratios, cooking times, and expected yield, which I keep meaning to copy and stick on the fridge for easy reference.
There are not lots of pictures, but the 25 full-page photos appearing in the middle are mouthwatering.
This is a very useful, cookbook for those of us wanting to eat healthy food that is also easy and delicious.
In 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness , Camilla shows us how to make wholesome food that is simple and creative, familiar yet interesting.
Find this book, 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking – 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury, at Amazon or your local public library or independent bookstore.
Note: The views expressed in this review are my own and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. I purchased the book myself from Amazon.
More Cookbook Reviews:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!