Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Curried Sweet Potato Soup
(153 calories | *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
This skinny curried sweet potato soup with coconut milk isn’t just any old sweet potato soup. Not by a long shot. This sweet potato soup will make your mouth sing and your tummy smile.
Sweet potatoes are combined with curry powder, lime zest, ground allspice, chopped cilantro, and light coconut milk into a creamy, sweet and spicy taste sensation with only *5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
The Skinny on Curried Sweet Potato Soup
I wish I could take the credit, but this deliciously healthy curried sweet potato soup with coconut milk is adapted from one of my latest cookbook acquisitions, 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness , by Camilla Saulsbury.
In the book and on her website, Enlightened Cooking, she calls the soup Sweet Potato Bisque with West Indian Spices; and although the recipes are each a little different, both sound delectable.
In her description, she says that this easy healthy sweet potato soup “has just the right balance of sweet, savory and spicy.” She’s right.
Camilla is a talented writer and recipe developer who has a magical way with food that I deeply admire.
Since I’m also putting myself through a virtual cooking school of sorts by reading and cooking from Darina Allen’s Ballymaloe Cooking School Cookbook , I applied the Ballymaole Basic Vegetable Soup Technique – which uses a simple ratio of 1 part onion, 1 part potato, 3 parts any vegetable and 4 parts stock or a mixture of stock and milk, or water – when I made this soup.
I wish everything I made turned out as delicious as this skinny spicy curried sweet potato soup with coconut milk.
You can easily make this soup vegetarian by using vegetable broth .
According to my calculations, each serving has only 153 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Curried Sweet Potato Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 cup peeled and chopped onions
- 1 cup peeled and chopped potatoes
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (to keep it vegetarian)
- 1 tsp finely grated lime zest (optional)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium-low.
- Add the sweet potatoes, onions, and potatoes and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and cook the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, allspice, broth and lime zest (if using) and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat and then lower the heat and simmer it gently, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup, either with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender.
- Return the soup to the pan (if not using an immersion blender) and stir in the coconut milk and cilantro.
- Heat the soup over low, stirring occasionally, for another 1 to 2 minutes, until warm.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve.
Source: 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Sweet Potato Soups for Weight Watchers:
- Easy Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup (3 SmartPoints) found at SnackGirl
- Ellie Krieger’s Nutty Sweet Potato Soup (8 WW PointsPlus Value) found at The Food Network
- Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger, Leek & Apple (6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints) found at The New York Times
More Weight Watchers Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Skinny Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pumpkin Pie Spice and Chile Powder (Simple Nourished Living)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, and Onions (Simple Nourished Living)
- Slow Cooker Cider Braised Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potatoes (Simple Nourished Living)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!