Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Cider Braised Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potatoes
I love one-pot meals. That’s probably why I love my slow cooker so much.
This slow cooker chicken thighs recipe is based on a more involved cider-braised chicken thighs with sweet potatoes and sage recipe I came upon recently.
The original recipe looked delicious but required quite a bit more work – browning chicken in batches, cooking shallots and garlic, combining the liquids and deglazing your pan and then braising (cooking in liquid) everything on the stove top until done.
Nothing terribly difficult, but I was feeling lazy yesterday and wanted something easier.
The Skinny on Cider-Braised Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
So I decided to experiment and combine all the ingredients in my slow cooker instead. It turned out delicious. A nice comforting dish full of lots of fall flavors including sweet potatoes, apples and sage. Perfect for a weeknight dinner when you want something easy and effortless.
This would be delicious served with crusty bread to sop up all the flavorful sauce.
The original recipe says that this meal serves 6, but my guys easily ate 2 servings each, so if you’re making this dinner for bigger eaters, plan on feeding 3 to 4.
According to my calculations, each serving (1 chicken thigh and about 3/4 cup sweet potato-shallot mixture) has about 344 calories, *8 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Slow Cooker Cider-Braised Chicken Cooking Tips
Because of the temperature differences among slow cookers, your cooking times may be different.
You’ll know this dish is ready, when the meat and sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork or knife. If you cook it too long, your sweet potatoes will get mushy, not a terrible thing!
The original recipe called for fresh sage and thyme, but since I only had dried I used them instead. If you do use fresh, which would be delicious, you’ll want to increase the amounts to about 2 teaspoons of each.
If you’ve made this slow cooked cider-braised chicken, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Easy Healthy Slow Cooker Cider-Braised Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potatoes & Sage
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 8 large shallots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Layer the seasoned chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add the sweet potatoes and shallots on top of the chicken.
- In bowl or measuring cup, stir together the garlic, chicken broth, apple cider, vinegar, thyme, sage and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pour over the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 3-1/2 hours, or on LOW for about 6 hours. (Mine was done after about 4 hours on high, so I switched my slow cooker to warm until we were ready to eat.)
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings. I added a little more salt, pepper and another teaspoon of vinegar at the end to liven it up.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this cider braised chicken thighs recipe, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Beer & Herbes de Provence
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Gravy
- Skinny & Delicious Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken
- Low-Fat Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Osso Buco
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!