If you are looking for easy healthy chicken recipes for the slow cooker you've come to the right place. This Slow Cooker Cheesy Southwestern Chicken—made with just six ingredients—is an easy and healthy dinner your whole family will love.
This dump and go slow cooker recipe is a complete one-dish meal with just 370 calories that's perfect for busy days.
This Cheesy Southwestern Chicken couldn't be easier to make with just six simple ingredients. All you need to make it is:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- Canned black beans
- Canned corn (or frozen if you prefer)
- Your favorite thick and chunky salsa
- Reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Southwest seasoning blend (or taco seasoning)
The recipe is slightly adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised and Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker . I changed the recipe ever so slightly, adding some Southwest seasoning blend to the chicken before adding it to the pot.
I think it's really important to season your meat or chicken - even if it's just with a little salt and pepper - before cooking it - especially in the slow cooker.
This recipe falls into what the internet refers to as "dump & go" crockpot recipes or "dump dinners." You simply toss all of your ingredients into the slow cooker, and let the appliance do the work.
No dicing, chopping, browning, or prepping required. These fuss-free dinners are perfect for hectic weeknights where the last thing you want to do is spend an hour cooking.
Substitutions & Variations
- Creamier: Add in some reduced fat cream cheese before serving. When I make it this way, I like to drain off some of the liquid first so that the cream cheese doesn't get too diluted.
- Dairy-free: Skip the cheese altogether and top with fresh cilantro, chopped jalapenos and/or avocado.
- Fresher: Turn this into a burrito bowl. Top with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, and avocado.
- Spicier: Add some diced chipotle peppers in adobo, chili powder, hot sauce, fresh jalapenos, or canned diced green chiles.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Chicken?
- Cauliflower rice: Since this recipe already has beans and corn, to keep the carbs in check, I like to pair it with a non-starchy vegetable like cauliflower rice. It's nice and light and you won't even miss the regular rice.
- Green salad: A nice green salad is another great light option.
- Lettuce wraps: Another light option is to make lettuce wraps. I like to chop some fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and green onion for these.
- Tortillas or wraps: Make tacos or burritos by pairing it with regular or low carb tortillas.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Southwestern Cheesy Chicken?
According to my calculations, each serving has about 370 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
9 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Ways to Use Leftovers
This recipe makes six generous servings. You could always portion out and freeze the leftovers for future quick and easy meals. Here are a few more ideas:
- Soup: Add chicken or vegetable broth to turn your leftovers into a Southwestern chicken soup.
- Zucchini boats: If you have leftovers, think about making some zucchini boats. Just half zucchini lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, fill with the chicken, corn and bean mixture, top with cheese and bake until tender and bubbly.
If you like this 6-Ingredient Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker recipes including 4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Goddess Chicken, 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Creamy Italian Chicken, 4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs, 2-Ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken and Easy Slow Cooker Creole White Beans & Chicken
If you've made this Skinny Southwestern Chicken, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
- 2 cans (about 15.5 ounces each) corn, drained
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (about 16 ounces) chunky salsa, divided
- 6 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves (about 4 to 5 ounces each)
- Southwest seasoning blend (optional)
- 1 cup low-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart.
- Combine the corn, black beans and ½ cup salsa in the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken with Southwest seasoning blend (if using) or salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker.
- Top with the remaining salsa.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 5 minutes more or until cheese melts.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here's another way to make easy, healthy slow cooker southwest chicken:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!