Are you looking for easy healthy chicken recipes for the slow cooker?
Here’s and easy, healthy and delicious one for your files.
I made this Southwestern slow cooker chicken with corn, black beans and salsa dish earlier this week for dinner and everyone loved it.
I loved how easy it was to prepare.
SALE ends in...
Not sure its right for you?
No worries, that's why we've got a 30 day full happiness guarantee.
The Skinny on Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken
This light and healthy recipe jumped out at me, from the first few pages of one of my most recent cookbook finds – Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: 600 Healthy Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker, as I was scanning for a quick and easy way to use the package of chicken breasts sitting in the fridge.
With just 6 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep time, it’s a great quick and easy dinner solution for busy days.
I adapted the recipe slightly, adding some Pampered Chef Southwest Seasoning Mix to the chicken before adding it to the pot.
I think its’ really important to season your meat or chicken – even if it’s just with a little salt and pepper – before cooking it – especially in the slow cooker.
This skinny southwestern slow cooker chicken is great served with rice and a simple tossed green salad.
And I think if you use non-fat cheese, it works for Simply Filling.
According to my calculations each serving of this Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken has about 370 calories, 9* Weight Watchers PointsPlus and 9* WW SmartPoints.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa, divided
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 to 5 ounces each)
- Southwest seasoning blend (optional)
- 1 cup low-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Combine the corn, black beans and ½ cup salsa in a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Season the chicken with Southwest seasoning blend or salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker.
- Top with the remaining salsa.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 5 minutes more or until cheese melts.
This makes a generous serving. To shave a couple of WW points, eat a smaller portion, which is what I did.
To prevent your chicken from drying out, you'll want to check for doneness. Many of today's slow cookers are much hotter than they used to be. My chicken was done in about 3.5 hours on LOW!
Source: Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: 600 Healthy Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked skinny southwestern slow cooker chicken you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Posole Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Osso Bucco
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.