Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs – Just 4 Ingredients
Cook Yourself Slim with 50 of my favorite slow cooker recipes all with PointsPlus & SmartPoints!
I’ve got an updated blast from the past (my past anyway) for you today: Skinny Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs.
Do you remember “porcupines” – ground beef, raw rice and seasonings formed into balls and then cooked in tomato sauce or soup in a skillet or baked in the oven?
My old Betty Crocker Cookbook (1978) has a good recipe for this old-fashioned family-friendly favorite.
But the inspiration for these skinny slow cooker porcupine meatballs came from another source: 4 Ingredients: More Than 400 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes Using 4 or Fewer Ingredients, a basic little paperback of easy everyday recipes by a pair of Australian moms, that I discovered in a London bookshop a few years back.
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
Skinny on Skinny Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs
The original 4-ingredient recipe called for just ground beef, cooked rice, egg and canned condensed tomato soup.
I added a little dried onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the mix.
And instead of plain condensed tomato soup, I opted for a can of Amy’s Organic Chunky Tomato Bisque which is slightly sweet, a little creamy, and full of fresh tomato flavor.
I carefully placed the uncooked meatballs in my 4-Quart oval slow cooker, poured the soup on top and let them cook on LOW for about 4-1/2 hours.
If you prefer you could bake them in a 350F degree oven for about one hour instead.
Served with mashed potatoes and broccoli, these skinny slow cooker porcupine meatballs received an enthusiastic thumbs up from both of us.
Which just goes to show dinner doesn’t have to be complicated to be satisfying, especially when you like old-fashioned comfort food the way we do.
According to my calculations each generous serving has 278 calories and 7* Weight Watchers Points Plus, 6* SmartPoints.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
I used the following ingredients & kitchen tools to make these porcupine meatballs:
- Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 4-Quart Slow Cooker
- Amy’s Organic Soups, Chunky Tomato Bisque
- 4 Ingredients: More Than 400 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes Using 4 or Fewer Ingredients
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- ½ cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon dried onion flakes (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 1 can tomato soup (I used Amy's Organic Chunky tomato bisque)
- Ideal Slow Cooker: 4-Quart Oval
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef, rice, egg and seasonings in a bowl and mix well.
- Roll mixture into 16 balls (aka "porcupines").
- Place in the slow cooker, trying to keep them in a single layer if you can.
- Pour on the soup. (If you are using a condensed soup you'll want to thin it with ½ can of water before pouring on.)
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Alternatively, you can place the meatballs in a single layer in a casserole dish, pour on the soup and bake in a 350F degree oven for about 1 hour, until the meatballs are cooked through and soup/sauce is bubbly.
Source: inspired by 4 Ingredients: More Than 400 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes Using 4 or Fewer Ingredients
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Recipes for Meatballs:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.